• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well now I get wait (new smoothbore).

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthFork

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I check TOTW's gun selection online almost daily. The day this one showed up I knew I wouldn't be happy till I bought it. It's been listed online for a good two months now. I've always had a thing for Dutch influence fowler's. Hopefully this is a good one. It's sure as heck the most I've ever spent on a gun even after they took my lower offer.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/489/1/AAS-940
On his website Dr. White claims it's a copy of one out of a book entitled "Early American Fowler's". Now the wait begins for it to arrive.

I guess no one except for hpbear101 finds the Fowler interesting. Track and FedEx say I might receive it tomorrow.

It is a beautiful and not too common piece. I've read they balance and shoot remarkably well. I can't understand that it was overlooked before. I really thought someone very notable would have some thoughts here.

Dr. White has built a LOT of nice guns. All types of stuff including big 4 bores, wheellocks, matchlocks, swivel barrels...you name it. Been looking at his stuff on the Track archive for a long time. I'd say it'll definitely be a good one.

It boggles my mind as to why it sat on Track's website as long as it did. Well known builder. Although some speak poorly of him, nearly everyone has a favorable opinion of his abilities. Yes it was expensive, but not out of line with other well known contemporary builders offerings. It just sat there day after day, week after week. Other smoothbores came and went but it just sat there. Dutch/Hudson Valley type fowlers are unusual but that should of enhanced the desirability as did the fact that larger bore smoothbore fowlers don't come up for sale often. And was brand new, not used. Just odd.

I hope it's really a good shooter for me (a good looker wouldn't hurt either).

I check TOTW's gun selection online almost daily. The day this one showed up I knew I wouldn't be happy till I bought it. It's been listed online for a good two months now. I've always had a thing for Dutch influence fowler's. Hopefully this is a good one. It's sure as heck the most I've ever spent on a gun even after they took my lower offer.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/489/1/AAS-940
On his website Dr. White claims it's a copy of one out of a book entitled "Early American Fowler's". Now the wait begins for it to arrive.
Been seeing that fowler for a while. Congrats! It is an awesome piece

Never heard of the builder but that doesn't mean anything. I've always been intrigued by these types of fowler's. Club butts, and Hudson Valley type guns seem like something I would really want to handle before purchasing.
I was waiting for your gun to be delivered, and you to report on it.
I look forward to reading what you have to say when you get it.

@Brokennock

I'm surprised that you have not heard of the builder. He started Green River Rifle Works. Is known to be one the more knowledgeable Hawken 'experts'. A very prolific builder who some estimate has built many hundreds if not thousands of muzzleloaders separate of GRRW. Started White Muzzleloading after the end of GRRW (builds inlines). Still builds traditional muzzleloaders to this day.

All that said, I have not handled one of his creations as of yet that I know of. Some folks say his builds exhibit poor architecture and design. I don't believe that I have heard anyone say his builds are of poor craftsmanship and/or materials. I personally don't have an opinion of his work..........YET. I may find out this afternoon if Fed/Ex delivers.

That is a fine gun. I admired it many times wishing that I had the funds for it. Happy to see it found a good home. Glad to see my wants can no longer torture me. At least for the time being.

The nice thing with TOTW is you have a 10 day period to look over the gun and decide if you want to keep or send back. They also state if you fire it you bought it and they won’t except a return. I bought a Lehigh from them and their description of the gun was dead on and ofcourse the service was great!

I hope it is everything you expected and if you decide to keep it...enjoy and shoot the heck out of it cause you are going to have fun with a Fowler!

@Brokennock

I'm surprised that you have not heard of the builder. He started Green River Rifle Works. Is known to be one the more knowledgeable Hawken 'experts'. A very prolific builder who some estimate has built many hundreds if not thousands of muzzleloaders separate of GRRW. Started White Muzzleloading after the end of GRRW (builds inlines). Still builds traditional muzzleloaders to this day.

All that said, I have not handled one of his creations as of yet that I know of. Some folks say his builds exhibit poor architecture and design. I don't believe that I have heard anyone say his builds are of poor craftsmanship and/or materials. I personally don't have an opinion of his work..........YET. I may find out this afternoon if Fed/Ex delivers.
Heard of his businesses, didn't know his name. Never been interested in shorter, half-stock, muzzleloaders like Hawkens and such, so probably just didn't pay much mind in that area to know who he is.

But, I do like the looks of that fowling piece. Hoping your report will include some more detailed pics.

Back