• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

went to a walk thru shoot this weekend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pghrich

32 Cal.
Reaction score
here in pittsburgh i belong to clairton sportsmans club. they have a traditional prb only shoot once a month.its a 20 target blanket shoot.i had without a dought the best time ever.most guys had what appeared to be very fine custom flintlocks.i had my cabelas kentucky.we all got along great.we hardly even talked about the guns. by the way i shot as good or better than most..its all about the comwardardy [?]....campfires good food good people having fun.... pgh

pghrich said:
here in pittsburgh i belong to clairton sportsmans club. they have a traditional prb only shoot once a month.its a 20 target blanket shoot.i had without a dought the best time ever.most guys had what appeared to be very fine custom flintlocks.i had my cabelas kentucky.we all got along great.we hardly even talked about the guns. by the way i shot as good or better than most..its all about the comwardardy [?]....campfires good food good people having fun.... pgh

thats what its all about!
we shot a 18 target trail this weekend in the snow and muck, great time, shot well, was high score, missed a few I have hit numerous times. weather paints a different picture on the targets and branches weighted with snow come into play. But thats all mute point! The comraderie that goes along with it is to me, what its all about. not how you shot or what you shoot!
Glad you had a great time! :thumbsup:

You know its funny. A bunch of muzzleloader shooters get together and there is joking, BS'in, talking about history and general having fun. Yeah, someone is going to win, but really who cares. Then you go to a modern gun shoot and everyone is absobloodylutely serious. I've seen Skeet shooters get Po'd because some of us weren't serious enough and there are target shooters that can't stand to have anyone talk while on the shooting line. I have some modern suppository guns but I hardly ever shoot them. Blackpowder is just a lot more friendly welcome to the fraternity.

Many Klatch

pghrich,
I was at the same shoot and brought my smoothbore to this one. Clairton has a great set-up. Terry, Fran and Doug do a great job. I knew I probably was not going to win anything carrying a smoothie. Knowing I was going to enjoy myself was a foregone conclusion. This was the smoothbore's maiden trail shoot and what blast. It looks as though a few of the shooters are going to Little Washington this weekend. I have to get directions from someone as I have never been to their club. Maybe see you there.
Bruce

I've noticed the same thing in myself. When I was young and shooting competitively I would get very upset over a poor shot. Now I'm happy if they stay on the paper. One other difference I've noticed: When I was young I could see .22 holes in the paper at 25 yards. Now I can't see .50 holes at the same distance. :hmm: must be premature aging. graybeard (I'm only 75).

No way it's the aging Graybeard! It's the darn paper the targets are made from these days :grin:

graybeard said:
I've noticed the same thing in myself. When I was young and shooting competitively I would get very upset over a poor shot. Now I'm happy if they stay on the paper. One other difference I've noticed: When I was young I could see .22 holes in the paper at 25 yards. Now I can't see .50 holes at the same distance. :hmm: must be premature aging. graybeard (I'm only 75).

I've got the opposite problem. I can stare at a sheet of white paper and see holes dancing around. :shake: Sucks to get old.

Glad you had a fun shoot Pghrich. That's what it's all about. A smile opens a lot more doors than fancy gear. :wink:

Hey Bruce, What and where is the club that shoots in Little Wash? I visited the one at the fairgrounds but I don't think they shoot BP.

I've gotten to where I could care less if I win or lose. I go to have fun and see very close friends. It seems that all my best friends are the ones that I shoot blackpowder with. Now adays it is seeing old friends that are more important to me. Sometimes I don't even shoot.

:thumbsup: That"s livin I refuse to miss a shoot and my wife knows I'll be there. Son inlaw goes and I can"t wait till the granddaughter and 2 grandsons 6,4 and 2 get old enough, them youngins will kick our butts cause they will see the targets lol. If I get in gear and get this Dickert done decently I want to build a few youth rifles. Ahh did I tell ya I got a shootin family every one shoots and shoots well, some not black powder tho. Boon

brett sr said:
pghrich said:

thats what its all about!
we shot a 18 target trail this weekend in the snow and muck, great time, shot well, was high score, missed a few I have hit numerous times. weather paints a different picture on the targets and branches weighted with snow come into play. But thats all mute point! The comraderie that goes along with it is to me, what its all about. not how you shot or what you shoot!
Glad you had a great time! :thumbsup:

wanted to add, it wasnt that I hit more than others on this day, its the friendship and conversations. we tend to spot for each other and support one another and learn from that! every dog has his day, this example was mine.
but I came home from that shoot a richer man in part from being around those I can call friend.
I gave patches to one without, I bummed a short start after having an anal moment at the truck, I spotted for more than one shooter, I knocked the snow off targets so others could see them better than me. If it was about the win, I would have done boy scout stuff, there they give you a patch!

That is the primary reason that I shoot black powder weapons, the people that I meet and the conversations that follow are better than anything so far.

I have only been "into" muzzle loading for a month so please excuse my ignorance. What is a blanket shoot and what is a walk through shoot etc. It sounds like great fun! Does anyone know of events like these in Northeast Florida (without snow on targets :rotf: ) B&B

A Blanket Shoot is one where the entry " fee " is something of value to MLers. usually having a minimum value set by the club. When the scores are tallied, first place gets first pick, and so on until all the prizes are taken. Everyone goes home with something. This is one way clubs have to encourage new shooters to come out and shoot and compete. Some shooters just don't like losing, and won't shoot in a competition even at the local club level unless they think they can win something. This is the answer for those kinds of shooters. Sometimes the Club will put up some kind of prize for the First place winners, but usually its whatever is put on the blanket by the individual shooters.

A walk through shoot means different things at different clubs. Basically its a way to allow shooters who may not have good legs, or backs to do a course of targets usually set up in the woods, without having to run through the course, where speed of completion decides the ultimate winner. We call it a " Woods Walk" at my club, and because we can walk the course, groups are shooters are taken through the course with a range officer/score keeper. On some courses its safe to have more than one group on the course at one time. On others, its best to have only one group of shooters out on the course at any given time, because of the location of shooting points and targets.

The fun part of Walk Through shoots is that they can be set up on almost any kind of ground. We use a combination of bang plates, and paper targets, but there seems to always be at least one station where you have to stick an ax, or a knife, or both, to score, and sometimes a Bow and Arrow station, and a Trap setting station. Some duplicate the traditional Seneca Run courses, where the last station requires you to start a fire with flint and steel large enough to burn through a weighed string held about the fire. When the weight drops the course is complete.

By taking the time element out of these irregular courses, you help new shooters learn the skills, and give them small but realistic targets to hit at unknown distances. Then, if they get good enough, and have good knees, they can attend one of the many Seneca Runs and see how they fair in that competition.

Paul

A walk thru shoot is the same as a trail walk. essentially, you walk out on a set trail and come upon various stations with targets in the distance(15 yards and longer) read the sign if any, and shoot away. sometimes its what the card says, or what it doesnt say, as to how you shoot!
ie: "stick your knife in the block", now it didnt say throw! I have seen folks walk up and stick the knife in the target!
these are fun shoots!

I've found great people in all of the shooting venues that I've attended. Yeah there's some of the more serious guys who don't want to socialize but there were always more of the "good guys" who would lend ya advise or equipment. I have made many good friends from years of shooting IPSC and IDPA matches. :thumbsup:

It does seem like BP events are less competitive though. Maybe it's 'cause most of the shooters are a tad older. Maybe it's the element of history involved.Dunno. All I know is now I look forward to rondezvous more than other shooting events. :grin: GW

Thanks guys for the info. It all sounds like great fun! I will look for a club that does walk throughs in my area of Florida.(the rattle snakes and gators will make it fun). I'm not competitive at all, when I raced motorcycles I only raced the guy in front of me so it was always fun for me, so I think this type of shooting would be great! No fire starting please! If I could only use flint and steel it'd make quiting smoking easy for me.

pghrich said:

Hi Rich, that club is close to where I live. I am in the process of finding a load combination for a PRB for my Lyman Trade Rifle 50 cal. Once I get her tuned in I would like to give that course a try. I have never done any shooting like that before, or any type of competitive shooting for that matter. It sounds like it is pretty laid back shoot. I would not be interested if it were all serious and nose in the air type shooters.

What type of sights are allowed on the course? I have a fiberoptic front site on my gun now. Will I have to replace it with a traditional blade front site? What is the farthest distance you have to shoot? I would imagine every shot is offhand...correct?

Sorry for all the questions, this kind of shooting has really sparked my interest.

Hank in WV
Left you private message with the location of the Lil Wash shoot. Let me know if you get it.
Bruce

melsdad...sorry fiber not permitted for any competition.all shots are offhand.furthest shot about 100yrds.most are under 50.spliting the bullet on the axe is about 15.its all about having a good time. no stress.everyone is really friendly and helpful.google clairton sportsmans club to get to their website .good info and directions...pgh.

Latest posts

Back