• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

We're Hiring!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are still searching for a qualified muzzleloading gunsmith here at Kibler's Longrifles. In short what this means is that we are looking for someone with strong hand skills that has experience in building high quality longrifles. Ideally they would have an understanding of the historical aspect of these rifles as well.

Duties would include assembling rifle kits, some "in the white" some finished. Carving and engraving rifles if capable as well. In addition there would be continual work involving prepping kit stocks for shipment.

Individuals would need to be able to stand at a bench working for 6-8 hours a day.

We will pay extremely well for a highly qualified individual (50-100K per year). Wage would of course be commensurate with ability, however.

If interested please send a message to [email protected] and include examples of your work.

Jim

I've been on the road the past few weeks and while there aren't as many help wanted jobs as a couple years ago there are still many. Going thru flagstaff AZ I was surprised to see 23/hr being offered for new employees (starting pay, not managers) flipping burgers. Seeing almost 50k/year offered for fast food was very sobering.

We are still searching for a qualified muzzleloading gunsmith here at Kibler's Longrifles. In short what this means is that we are looking for someone with strong hand skills that has experience in building high quality longrifles. Ideally they would have an understanding of the historical aspect of these rifles as well.

Duties would include assembling rifle kits, some "in the white" some finished. Carving and engraving rifles if capable as well. In addition there would be continual work involving prepping kit stocks for shipment.

Individuals would need to be able to stand at a bench working for 6-8 hours a day.

We will pay extremely well for a highly qualified individual (50-100K per year). Wage would of course be commensurate with ability, however.

If interested please send a message to [email protected] and include examples of your work.

Jim
Jim:

Do you attend the recruiting seminars at the various Gunsmithing schools and Community Colleges that have those programs? I know that they focus on modern systems, but I'm sure that there are some students with interest in antique, vintage, and muzzleloading firearms.

Jim
I'm trying Mr. Kibler.
I have a friend there in Ohio that is an excellent builder and incredible Horner. But, he is a few hours away from you and I can't convince him to move,,,, even though he hates his job and dreams of doing something in the history/muzzleloading field for a living.
I'll keep working on him.

Question. In all seriousness. If one was to attend say Sonoran Desert Institute. Do they even teach you the skills necessary for “vintage” styled rifles. My fear is it’s all about modern AR junk. I’ve always been kind of curious about gunsmith school but I don’t know if it would teach me the skills that I would want for say; carving, filing, etc.

Except for the knowledge, skills, experience, ability to stand 6 to eight hours at a bench, I'm your man! Seems like a good opportunity for the right person. Wishing you the best in your search.

Maybe farming work out to qualified folks with their own shops might be a possibility. Might even add to advertising/value if worth attributing work to those with known names???

Question. In all seriousness. If one was to attend say Sonoran Desert Institute. Do they even teach you the skills necessary for “vintage” styled rifles. My fear is it’s all about modern AR junk. I’ve always been kind of curious about gunsmith school but I don’t know if it would teach me the skills that I would want for say; carving, filing, etc.
You don’t “attend” SDI- it is Online service.
I have dealt with 3 graduates from a couple Gunsmithing schools (CST and Yavapai) about the only information on frontstuffers they have mentioned is some historical references on “How we got here” in the progression of firearm technology. Stock making, metal finishing, some machining, welding, heat treating, trouble shooting seems to be the gist of teachings.
In all honesty if you have Roy Dunlop’s “Gunsmithing” you pretty much have the curriculum for them.
The guys I dealt with had no education on AR’s, AK’s, FAL’s, G3’s,
Glocks, SIG and such- maybe an Armorers course or so.

Last edited:
Back