• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what about a Pedersoli rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've located a few used and even the new ones are not that expensive... anyone know if these are considered to be a decent gun? Problems, performance etc?

I once owned a Pedersoli Penn. flint rifle.The Frizzon spring went south in a short while.Fit and finish is ok to good, IMHO I would look at TVM rifles or the like, you'll pay a little more but the quality of components aere top of the line

The one I had the frizzen broke after 8 shots, took months to replace it. Also the trigger guard broke about 2-3 years later. Shot the dickens out of it, and it hit the targets well when it worked.

Captdan,

In geneal Pedersoli makes a fine rifle at a fair price. I wouldn't hesitate owning another!!!

Jester

Fair winds and following seas

I bought one as my first ML, and regretted it ever since. It wouldn't spark to save my life, the wrist cracked, apparently along the grain, and the thinness of the butt made shooting it a very unpleasant experience. I wouldn't give two cents for any of the guns in that style. I basically gave it away and bought me my Bess (Pedersoli) and never looked back.

I have a Pedersoli 1777 Charleville, very nice weapon. Great fit and finish, shoot's very well. I'd buy a Pedersoli before any of the other mass produced rifles.

I have had four over the years, and still have a double barrel percussion shotgun and a Mortimer rifle. They are very good guns, IMO, but some of the better ones (like the Mortimer) are approaching lower end customs in price. I liked the two Frontier rifles I had, just not my cup of tea.

I would say if you can find a Pedersoli at a reasonable price, buy it.

SCATTERSHOT said:
I have had four over the years, and still have a double barrel percussion shotgun and a Mortimer rifle. They are very good guns, IMO, but some of the better ones (like the Mortimer) are approaching lower end customs in price. I liked the two Frontier rifles I had, just not my cup of tea.

I would say if you can find a Pedersoli at a reasonable price, buy it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

picked up a use Tryon so far so good!

Also have a flowler..ok so far too

My first flinter was a Pedersoli Kentucky .50.
It took a while to figure out how to get the thing to spark but once I did it has been fine. Shoots straight and kills deer!! The architecture is not authentic for anything but it was fun to learn with. Their workmansjip seemed to be fine..good for the price....That beeing said I have a lt more fun with the southern colonial .54 I built from a precarves stock and parts I got from Curt Lyles. Cost a little more but I find it more satisfactory..and I built it! :winking:

Good luck!

I have Pedersoli 45cal Frontier flinter now and I like it. Did have to tweek it some, but most of these guns I have seen need that anyway.

Mine shoots pretty darn good so far, sparks well ... now if I could just stop my flinch I could hit someting with it! :thumbsup:

Davy

I think you have to be more specific as to which model of Pedersoli interests you. You'll note that most of the negative comments above relate to their Kentucky or Pennsylvania models which are rather flimsy, with a small lock.
On the other hand is the Frontier/Blue Ridge rifle which has a very large lock and seems to work much better. My own Blue Ridge is about 15 years old and has been through alot. I did have to replace a frizzen about a year ago but I consider that understandable and a small repair for 15 years of good shooting. :grin:

I have to agree with Coyote Joe and tmla. Pedersoli has some very good guns and some that really could use a rethinking. I wouldn't even think of them for an American longrifle. Their trade musket is a slap-together job on a beech stock!
On the other side of the coin, Mortimer, Tryon, and Waadländer are some of the best non-custom guns I've fired. I have the Mortimer in flint and am more than pleased. I would advise looking over the weapon you intend to purchase on a first hand basis before the money changes hands. Pedersoli is capable of some of the best production-gun work around. They just don't always do what they're capable of.. :cursing:
Search for Mortimer under my username if you want to see my first range reports. :hatsoff:

I'll throw my two cents in. All my Pedersoli guns have been excellent but this opinion is limited to: Early American Jaeger, Quigley 45-70 Sharps, 1859 Infantry Sharps, No.3 Sporting 1874 Sharps and a Harley Davidson Anniverery .44 cal. percussion pistol. My only complaint is the rough-finished, shoddy sights on the pistol, lots of sharp edges left and they just look out of place on an otherwise fine pistol.

I've got a pedersoli 12 ga sxs and I love it to death now I cant wait to order a blue ridge , just waiting for tax return also I can't figure out witch caliber to buy I've got four 45s and two 50s now I'd kind of like to get something new dose that style of rifle tend to be better in any particular caliber? 36 sounds interesting but I hear they fowel quickly 40 sounds very good but they left that one out of the blue ridge linup I believe they are made in 32 36 45 50 54 any advise ?

Captdan
I have two pededsoli sxs a 10 ga.and a 20 ga.caplocks both look great and shot great. But from what the other guys have posted here maybe you should look them over real close. :winking: Rocky

Back