• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What am I doing wrong?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zonie said:
While I'm on my soapbox, I also must caution that there are some cheap bronze brushes which have the bristles in a sleeve that is pressed onto the cleaning rod attachment.
These are notorious for having that pressed on piece come loose or pull off, leaving the bristles
down in the bottom of the bore.
Because the brush is porous, the usual method of clearing a bore like "shooting it out with a small powder charge", using compressed air, using a CO2 ball remover or even using a high pressure grease gun will not move the stuck brush.
Be very cautious in using a brush to clean a Traditional muzzleloader.

I will join the chorus on this. I had one come apart in a Mountain Rifle. I was able to blow it out with some 4F but it took a couple of tries. On the first try I could feel the rifle recoil a little so I figured the brush had moved. The second try it popped out and went about 10 yards downrange. I have always considered this a lucky break. I have never used a bronze brush to clean the barrel on a muzzleloader since.

All you have to do with any brush is turn it to the right, or " clockwise" and as you are turning it, pull back on the rod. The bristles will turn towards the breechplug, and the rush comes right out.

People are making way too much of all this. I Understand there is a bit of a learning curve, but its not much of a speed bump, IMHO! I use bore brushes in my MLers frequently, and even in my smoothbores. For you Right handed guys that find turning something clockwise difficult, do the turning with your left hand, instead of your right. You will find its much easier to turn and pull with your left hand.

Latest posts

Back