• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what book about makin horns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PvtC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My favorite camp follower has volunteered to engrave a horn that is appropriate for my F&I war provincial soldier impression. She is gifted with a steady hand and an artistic nature. Can anyone recommend a good horn building and engraving how to book?

Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn, the secrets of making, decorating and aging horns, by Scott & Cathy Sibley

Superb book, good pics and examples. Track of the wolf has them

Try this website

[url] http://www.nmroyalrangers.org/FCF/making_a_powder_horn.htm[/url]

Aim small miss small

Last edited by a moderator:
what DCF said... after reading the Sibley's book twice, i managed to make a fairly decent horn without creating a mess, and (better yet) the horn works. there are doubtless more advanced books for more advanced builders, but for us neophyte type, that book is the way to go.

good luck!

Thx to all. That is a great page on the ranger site. With a print of that and the Sibley book as references we should have fun.

See "The Book of Buckskinning" Vol.II PP.111-148 for "Design and Construction of Powder Horns" by Don Wright {David's brother}which appears to be a good article on building powder horns.
Tom Patton

Sibley's bok gives you a blow by blow on how to make a powder horn and how to color and age the horn. Don Wright's article in Book of Buckskining gives you the insight to the proper archetecture and dimensions of making a horn. I suggest you get both.

Randy Hedden

Of all the books, I like Sibley's the best. I bought it direct from them and got it autographed too.

Hey Guys,

My pops is a horn builder (ie "hornbuilder") and he swears by the Dresslar book "The Engraved Powderhorn" The book itself is more of a pictoral reference but it does show alot of examples of not only shape and scrimshaw but also patina which is always one of the hardest things to obtain.

The only place I've been able to find it at is[url] alibris.com[/url]. Hope this helps

~chingach

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back