• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What caliber and style for you?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjgregory

32 Cal
Reaction score
My buddy and I were talking last night and apparently he has some time in December to do another build for me. I’ve been thinking it over. I need to decide what caliber first and then what flintlock pattern I want to do.

I have a swamped barrel .50 colerain with a Siler lock. And a sweet .36 caliber with an L&R lock and a rice barrel. Both flinters, shoot like champs and I’ve well tuned them.

I know that here in Colorado if I want to hunt elk with a patched ball, the minimum is .54. I mostly bow hunt so I don’t give a damn one way or another.

Know what calibers I already have, what caliber rifle would you have him make for you? Specifically, why do you like your caliber choice?

As far as right now, Im thinking a Jacob Dickert (Lancaster County) pattern. What pattern is your favorite?

I hate to sound like the Kibler parrots but I sure like that .54 Woodsrunner. I got to shoulder one recently and it balances perfectly. It would be a "snap" to put together too.

Hard to beat the look of a nicely curled Lancaster style in my opinion. I like a .50 cal just because everywhere seems to always have supplies / jags etc. for a .50. I would like to have a .54 too though one of these days.

I love my 50's, 54's, 58's and 60's for hunting. they have the authority to put down anything i have hunted and will hunt. I also get a kick out of the big holes in my targets from the 50's, 54's, 58's and 60's.
but for me, the one that just tickles me the most is my SMR .45 with a Green Mountain barrel and a doc Haddaway lock.
it handles like a dream, shoots where i am looking, and barely kisses me when it fires. next to my 11 gauge English shotgun, it is my favorite fool hen getter.
and it looks pretty good too.
1729020988931.jpeg

I love my 50's, 54's, 58's and 60's for hunting. they have the authority to put down anything i have hunted and will hunt. I also get a kick out of the big holes in my targets from the 50's, 54's, 58's and 60's.
but for me, the one that just tickles me the most is my SMR .45 with a Green Mountain barrel and a doc Haddaway lock.
it handles like a dream, shoots where i am looking, and barely kisses me when it fires. next to my 11 gauge English shotgun, it is my favorite fool hen getter.
and it looks pretty good too.
View attachment 355392
Really good looking rifle Deerstalkert. .45 would be sweet to shoot. Thanks for the pic.

Hard to beat the look of a nicely curled Lancaster style in my opinion. I like a .50 cal just because everywhere seems to always have supplies / jags etc. for a .50. I would like to have a .54 too though one of these days.
Yeah a Lancaster well built will make a man’s heart go pitter patter.

Really good looking rifle Deerstalkert. .45 would be sweet to shoot. Thanks for the pic.
My buddy and I were talking last night and apparently he has some time in December to do another build for me. I’ve been thinking it over. I need to decide what caliber first and then what flintlock pattern I want to do.

I have a swamped barrel .50 colerain with a Siler lock. And a sweet .36 caliber with an L&R lock and a rice barrel. Both flinters, shoot like champs and I’ve well tuned them.

I know that here in Colorado if I want to hunt elk with a patched ball, the minimum is .54. I mostly bow hunt so I don’t give a damn one way or another.

Know what calibers I already have, what caliber rifle would you have him make for you? Specifically, why do you like your caliber choice?

As far as right now, Im thinking a Jacob Dickert (Lancaster County) pattern. What pattern is your favorite
First of all I recommend .54 or .58 cal. Your Dickert idea would work. Use a Chambers lock. BJH

Back