• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you clean first? Game or gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assumed he's asking about the end of the day and the complete cleaning of the gun, not just cleaning between shots and keep on hunting.

But, in today's world, I probably figured that out wrong.

Spence

Yep. I meant the end of the day.

Thanks a bunch, gentlemen! My inclinations were correct it appears. :thumbsup:

Meat first! Meat can spoil quickly, the rifle won't. It won't hurt the rifle to wait a day or two if you are using real black powder. Some black powder substitutes are much more corrosive and need more immediate attention.

I f i dont see big game go down I reload, wait 10-15 min and retrueve. Then I gut AND skin the animal. If close to the vehicle I drag it over (or drive to it and load it. If way back in I will bag the meat and hang it and walk to get a cart or a buddy and get the meat. The rifle stays loaded and with me in case a mean mnt lion wants to challenge me (never has yet but if a hunter with an unloaded gun is ever challenged by a mean mnt lion it will be ME). Then when game is in truck I shoot the gun and head to the butcher. Clean the gun at home. Once in bout 40 yrs I did clean the next day cuz it was 3:45 AM when I got home and I was POOPED.

Small game, gut, skin & in a bag with blue ice before I even reload.

I always take care of game first. More than once my MLers have gone overnight without cleaning, and I never have had any issues. This year in Virginia, I did reload after taking that big, old buck, and it was five days before I unloaded (shot) and cleaned the little .62. It had been in my truck in a case all of that time, and when uncased, there was no sign of corrosion in the bore or around the lock. I fired it, and then cleaned and there was absolutely no sign of rust. It has been relatively dry, so that was a plus. I've been using mink oil from TOW as patch lube and credit it for helping to minimize rust. REAL BP isn't as corrosive as some of the substitutes, and modern steel isn't as porous as the old iron barrels were.

Back