• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do You Guys do For Cleaning While Hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have flushed the nipple, flash channel, and entrance hole to the powder chamber out adequately with alcohol, before you loaded the powder, that area should burn and blow out any debris that might otherwise stick there. As RB says, its " self Cleaning" for the most part. The exceptions are in those guns that have burrs, casting debris, or other rough areas( Pits, for example) in the flash channel that will collect and hold debris. You are worrying too much. However, now is the time to shoot that gun often enough that you have complete confidence in the gun, and your ability to load and clean it correctly so there is ABSOLUTELY no doubt in your mind that the gun will fire whenever you want it to shoot. :hatsoff:

Things are not apt to change as long as there are folks out there proding people to use things that are not really needed or fix things that are not broke, some just refuse to leave this game as simple as it really is.

We plan on doing quite a bit of Squirrel hunting/camping this season,so it will be hunt in the morning,back to camp for lunch/nap and then back hunting in the afternoon. I've been assembling a "camping cleaning kit" just for this,and I use the same kit for cleaning at home.It's nothing more than a Scope bottle full of cleaning solution,a small medicine bottle of 90% alcohol,a small funnel,a piece of T-shirt,a few Q-tips,can of Rem oil and of course a cleaning jag.
I figure I'll fill the barrel with cleaning solution and while it's soaking I'll start cooking lunch.Then I'll slosh the cleaning stuff around,pour it out,run a couple of patches through,run a water soaked patch or two through,then dry patches till clean,an alcohol patch,and then a light oil patch.I'll probably just wipe off the nipple.By then,lunch should be ready.
That's if there is a 5-6 layover between morning and afternoon hunts.If it's only a couple of hours layover I'll probably not worry about it.

if I fire while in the woods on a hunt then I use a tow worm with tow at night befor bed wet damp run down rinse do agin till clean then boil water over fire tow worm run down and finish with a little ox yoke on patch then dry patch load and get ready for next day some hunts wea are in over 20-39 days we go for sheep moose and boo at the same time

Problem Child said:
We plan on doing quite a bit of Squirrel hunting/camping this season,so it will be hunt in the morning,back to camp for lunch/nap and then back hunting in the afternoon. I've been assembling a "camping cleaning kit" just for this,and I use the same kit for cleaning at home.It's nothing more than a Scope bottle full of cleaning solution,a small medicine bottle of 90% alcohol,a small funnel,a piece of T-shirt,a few Q-tips,can of Rem oil and of course a cleaning jag.
I figure I'll fill the barrel with cleaning solution and while it's soaking I'll start cooking lunch.Then I'll slosh the cleaning stuff around,pour it out,run a couple of patches through,run a water soaked patch or two through,then dry patches till clean,an alcohol patch,and then a light oil patch.I'll probably just wipe off the nipple.By then,lunch should be ready.
That's if there is a 5-6 layover between morning and afternoon hunts.If it's only a couple of hours layover I'll probably not worry about it.

I think I will have your supper shot, skinned & ready for cooking by the time you do all of that cleaning. :grin:

Thank you for asking this and to EVERYONE who has responded. I will definitely keep this all in mind as I am climbing this rope!!

GREAT info!! Thanks again guys! :hatsoff:

Hey Dink!

When I field clean one of my Hawken rifles, I won't carry anything but patches and a jag for my Ram rod. I use spit patches until they come out clean, then I use dry patches. I will leave one on my Jag and run it down the barrel and leave it.

Then I pop a couple caps, pull the ramrod and look at the patch. When I am getting good fire on the patch and there isn't any moisture globs, I call it good.

If I am in a good place out in the woods and can keep track of things, I might pull the nipple and clean it out while Swabbing the barrel. I will re-install the nipple and pop caps like above. When I reload it, My Patch is lubed with Mink Tallow or Bore butter, that will keep it plenty lubed to prevent rust in the bore.

There are important tools you need to keep in your possibles pouch, like a nipple wrench, Jag, Worm, pipe cleaners, cleaning patches, an extra nipple and a few q-tips. I also keep a small Vile of 4F incase I dryball. You just never know what you might run into on a trip. All of the stuff I mention fits into a copenhagen can.

Headhunter

Latest posts

Back