• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you love to hunt the most?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small game when its with the family, doves, squirrels and ducks. More action for them both and it is more of a gathering. Big game is starting to catch my sons eye now, and since he is a bit older he is learning to be quiet. So Hogs and deer here shortly

Got him to finally shoot my flinter last weekend and the bug is nibblin on him! :hatsoff:

Kinda looking forward to upland this year too. I'll be using a NSW 20 ga. I acquired in a trade with our own Swampy. :thumbsup:

I sure do hunt doves with a BP gun. My current favorite is a 14ga. SxS perc. gun. At one time before I sold it to my Dad, I used a 20ga. SxS flinter. My 20 ga. load is 7/8oz of 7 1/2's and 60gr. of 2F. The 14 ga. is 1 oz. and 70gr. of 2F.Both guns are old orginals. Those cyl. bores are NOT a disadvantage on doves at all. Not hunting with these old guns is a shame to miss doing. Though, there is a 20ga. fowler in the works and another old 20ga. SxS flinter on the bench, that I hope both of these guns will be done in time for this season.
dovehunt9-04davesmuzzleloader.jpg
[/img]

I just love hunting whitetails!Spend the rest of the year thinking about them and some of the year getting ready to hunt them.Some of the year shooting to be ready for hunting them.

I love hunting them all but for diferent reasons. Squierrels are great for those days when you get up and don't really have anything pressing to do and you decide to go hunt just because you can. After last year I started hunting them with my 45 cal pedersoli and now this year I have a fowler I'm going to ty out on them. I love deer huntig because its a great time of year to bein the woods in NC or Pa. Which ever state I happen to be in. Plus there's nothing like hearing that sound of the foot steps, you look to your right( because they always come from your bad side) and see that deer(buck or doe) sliding throught the woods . Ears twitching and nose working but they keep getting closer. They stop, snap their head around looking for you. Take one o those stuter steps they do , then start walking again. It's just awesome. LOVE IT!!! Then you have turkey season. Does it get any better than that. Spring time in the woods. Watching the sun come up over the horizon. Watching and hearing the woods come to life in the morning. Then out of nowhere you hear that gobble on the next ridge and it just shatters your nerves. Gives me the chills just thinkin about it. This year I'm gonna try my hand at using that fowler of mine. Never hunted turkeys with a Flinter. Always the good old Remington 870. I can not wait.

woods loper said:
Just wondering what yalls favorite animal to hunt is? I know everybody loves to hunt deer, but what do yall think is the most fun hunting. For me its squirrels. Lots more opportunity. Lots more shooting. I have some buddies around here that I hunt with. We get together and hunt squirrels dressed as settlers in South Carolina in the 1770's using only flint long rifles. We gather around noon and cook a meal and coffee on a small fire. That is some fun.

Said it in other posts still mean it.

COYOTES with smokepoles!! :thumbsup:

Whatever is in season. During bear season it's bear, duck season it's duck and deer season it's deer ect... :wink:

Elk with a .54 is my favorite. They can be really be a challenge. One second they're there, the next they're not, and no noise if they are so inclined. Probably why the Indians called them "Ghost of the Woods". During the rut is the only time they get stupid, and it is almost easy to take advantage of them, at least the bulls.
But while elk is my favorite, grouse are the most fun, shooting them in the head with the same rifle I hunt elk with, but with a reduced load. I once shot 5 in a row from the same covey within 20 yards of each other.

Squirrels are my all time favorite as well, but, on hazy hot summer afternoons, shooting groundhogs while sitting under a shade tree with a big thermos of sweet iced tea also ranks high on my list.

Used to be rabbits then quail & pheasants now it is deer. I take off work every year and take my father deer hunting with me. 30 plus deer later and I still get an adrenalin rush. We dream about going Elk hunting.

Some day before I die, God willing I am going to shoot an elk with my .50 cal flintlock rifle

I like to hunt hogs best. Whitetail, too, but mostly hogs. They're the poor man's grizzly. Maybe it's because they are so mean and ugly. We dress up in our period clothes with our flinters and have a real good time. We usually go to mid TN when we can.

Back