• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what do you need

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldude

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Sneeked over here from the prec. rifle site. Was reading just for fun,So besides education on boomers from you guys, do you need a permit to own/operate a canon? Bentchile

Bentchile said:
Sneeked over here from the prec. rifle site. Was reading just for fun,So besides education on boomers from you guys, do you need a permit to own/operate a canon? Bentchile

Well, you don't live in Massachusetts, that's a good start! There, the first thing you have to do is find someone who is already been certified for five years. Get them to sign off on your application, just so you can take the cerification test. And you better know what you are doing, their reputation is on the line.

CP

Thanks for the replies folks, I'm in no hurry so i'll just listen/ read and learn. Bent

I was going to post the same question, will get a phone call out tomorrow to County sheriff (he owes me from last election) How about transporting one, I have been looking at a 12lb gun but will have to go pick it up. Don't want to run into some issue while traveling with it especially since I would have to go into Arkansas. I know I can tarp the gun on trailer but it would look cool going down interstate with a pop gun sitting there.

WALKERs210 said:
I was going to post the same question, will get a phone call out tomorrow to County sheriff (he owes me from last election) How about transporting one, I have been looking at a 12lb gun but will have to go pick it up. Don't want to run into some issue while traveling with it especially since I would have to go into Arkansas. I know I can tarp the gun on trailer but it would look cool going down interstate with a pop gun sitting there.

Never ever get a verbal opinion and especially from a Law enforcement officer. They will always remember the conversation different than you, when you go to court. Most Law enforcement Officers don't know other than the very basic laws very well. I base this statement on 35 years plus as a Law Enforcement Officer. To many officers offer their opinion and don't have a clue what they are talking about. It will not be a positive defense that a Cop told you wrong.

When I wanted to know what the law said, I always asked a Counsel or prosecutor.

You always want to submit your question in writing to the Chief Prosecuting officer in the state you have the question and you want their response in writing. The Chief prosecuting Officer in a state usually is titled the Attorney General. The Sheriff's Opinion won't carry weight in any court. You local District Attorney or County Attorney's Opinion is only good in his district or County.

Thanks for the open eyed approach to this. Too darn old to sit in a jail for a mis-understanding or mis read law. Will make a call to the AG before I go any further with this. Also got to make sure the wife will turn loose of the money even thou she is the one that wants the field gun more than I do.
thanks again

WALKERs210 said:
Thanks for the open eyed approach to this. Too darn old to sit in a jail for a mis-understanding or mis read law. Will make a call to the AG before I go any further with this. Also got to make sure the wife will turn loose of the money even thou she is the one that wants the field gun more than I do.
thanks again

I have 44 years of marriage all to the same woman and and am not qualified in giving advice on dealing with them. :grin:

DD if you can even come close to understanding the way a Wife's mind works you will go down in history. I was married 32yrs to first wife before she pasted on, now have 13 yrs with the second and I still have no idea as to how or why, I just give in and save a lot of Mis-Understandings.

WALKERs210 said:
Don't want to run into some issue while traveling with it especially since I would have to go into Arkansas. I know I can tarp the gun on trailer but it would look cool going down interstate with a pop gun sitting there.

I wouldn't recommend toting it down the interstate uncovered. There's just too much stuff kicked up along the highways to risk damage to an expensive cannon.
I envy your potential ownership of a cannon. In 26 years I haven't been able to get my wife to even consider saying yes. I'd be satisfied with just a Naval mine beside the flagpole, but.......
NO!!!

I just bought the steel to build a bowling ball mortar. The wife asked me what I was up to now. No not in the tone of one person who has a mutal interest in projects. More like the tone you mother used when she caught you up to no good.

I told her I am going to make a bowling ball mortar. Great she says. She saw one on Pawn star and they sold it for a lot of money...suddenly its cool. She has been closing out her mothers estate and now she see's value in things. I just get worried when she points out how much she can get for my stuff. I keep my back to the wall! :grin:

standard.jpg

DD: Ha. Retirement gives you ideas, doesn't it?
How are you going to go about making that mortar, I wonder. Just looking at the picture reminds me of the little KISS mortar that you designed. Is that adaptable to being scaled up?

Pete (of the rainy weekend at Winchester and the plugged M-H).

Contacted the State AG today about legal issues regarding the field artillery. They in turn sent me to the BATF, which led to a great conversation with one of their agents. From the tone of this man I think he might be swayed to the art of making smoke the old fashion way. After all his research and discussion it was ruled that AS LONG as the cannon does not use a 1pcs shell it is not concerned any issue. Only stipulation was on the total amount of BP that could be on hand without a special permit and storage facility.

Any conversations you had with the AG or BATF over the phone may be absolutely correct and will carry no weight unless you get the answer in writing, especially from the ATF Agent.

In fact I think the ATF Agent is only partially correct on the person use black powder.

The only correct answer comes in writing from ATF in DC.

Latest posts

Back