• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What era is ToW's Tn. Mt. Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I noticed that Track is selling their TN Rifle kit with keys instead of pins. how does this feature affect the rifle's era. Just curious, but is this L&C? 1812? or is it more likely Alamo era?
kit-early-tenn-15-flint_1.jpg

Bruce, these rifles are hard to date since there is so much similarity in their architecture and mounts.It appears to be from the upper East Tennessee school although it has a little more drop in the butt than I would expect to find in a rifle from this area and the guard is somewhat atypical in its depth of the bow.As to wedges, I have seen very few Tennessee guns with them unless the guns were ornamented more than usual.As to dating the gun illustrated that too is difficult but I will hazard a guess that it reflects a period of Ca.1825 to Ca.1860.At least it has an English lock instead of a Germanic lock a combination I have never seen on a Tennessee rifle although all too many builders and those selling parts/kits still use them.I hope I haven't confused the issues too much and as always I welcome responsible opposing comments.
Tom Patton

Thanks Tom. :hatsoff: I guessed between 1820-1840, but that was completely uninformed, and based solely on the wedges.

Okwaho-

Thanks for clearing up a nagging question about English (i.e. L&R Durs Egg) v. Germanic (i.e. Large Siler) locks on Tn rifles. I've been working on one off and on for a while now and, although i'm not overly concerned about being P.C., it's nice to know that detail is more or less accurate.

Thanks again!

msw

Wedges cant be used as a dating feature they go way back.While i agree with the others on the dates for the rifle shown, if you go to a 1812 event with one i doubt anyone would throw ya out of camp fer packin it. so if thats the gun you want go fer it.

I may eventually put one together, but not now. Actually, I was just curious if Dixie still had their Poor Boy, which got me to wondering what was available from ToW. looks like it might be a fun/economical kit to put together.

Dixie has only a few poor boy kits remaining, left handed only. their supplier from where they were getting them burned down and they are not going to rebuild the factory I believe they said they were being made in Japan

I believe Miroku built them, but I never heard that their factory burned down, and they are still building guns for other labels.

" and they are still building guns for other labels."

Yes, I heard they are making a variety of early 18th and late 17th century miltary guns and shipping them through India,to Canadian and US vendors....... :shocked2:

Yup. But they don't drill the vents--they lost their drill press in the fire. The stocks make great 2x4s though.

Back