• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What exactly is "New" about T/C locks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kencolamarino

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some 70's T/C locks with the 3 screw bridle. Also others that are 2 screw and "newer". The flintlocks had the old color case hardened hammer and frizzen. Using the same lock plate and parts, these have been upgraded to the newer hammer and frizzen. Does this now make them equivalent to the new locks, or has T/C changed other parts or geometry? One thing I have done to all is lighten the sear return spring, polish all bearing surfaces, reduce sear engagement by slowly filing down the bottom of the sear engagement notch in the tumbler, and lightly polishing the engagement surfaces with a very hard Arkansas stone without changing the original angles. I can get a nice 5-6 pound trigger pull without messing with the mainspring. One strange thing I found on one lock was that with the bridle screws tight, I could barely move the tumbler with my finger with the mainspring out. Took stoning the left side of the tumbler to get enough clearance to have this part move freely. The mainspring is so strong that it could easily rotate the tumbler even with a tight fit. I probably should have had T/C replace the lock, but I still would have had to do the trigger job.

My experience with them is that there have been a number of improvements over the decades that really touch on virtually every part in the lock assembly...sideplate, mainspring and rod size, tumber, sear, tumbler & sear bridle, fly, frizzen, and hammer.

Most of the internal functional improvements seemed to have been incremented one by one and stabilized by 1990 or so.
Then the harder all black frizzens came along during the next few years, followed by the taller hammer with it's different angle of attack through the later 90's...that's how it seemed to flow to me.

And the redesigned vent liner in the late 90s was icing on the cake. :wink:

Both of my T/Cs came with triggers that would have to be measured in ounces from the factory. I do lube my locks with Gun Slick.

I'm glad you didn't ask T/C to replace your lock. Most American companies can barely keep the doors open, and they shouldn't have to replace parts that aren't defective. It speaks of our ethics when we expect that of them. I applaud your ethics sir.

I ordered my hammer and frizzen for my PA Hunter from T C cost was 25.00. The lock works fine saved 6 week turn around. New hammer used saving frizzen good ignition with old one.

Odinbreaker said:
"...saved 6 week turn around..."
Just as an FYI, TC's standard answer always seems to be "6 weeks" but I've probably used them a couple dozen times over the years and the actual turn-around time has always just been the following week

I emailed TC a week ago as requested an early and late lock for testing and timing. So far I have heard nothing.

Regards,
Pletch

You emailed them to "give" you a free pair of $115.00 locks for some testing and haven't heard back from them?

Maybe they thought the request was a joke and tossed it in file 13?

roundball said:
You emailed them to "give" you a free pair of $115.00 locks for some testing and haven't heard back from them?

Maybe they thought the request was a joke and tossed it in file 13?

Heck, Roundball I asked them for a rifle too! I described the testing I have done and the articles I did for MuzzleBlasts hoping they would treat it like any other magazine test.

My assumption is that when such testing takes place, the product is returned. I didn't ask for a gift - I requested the locks for testing. It's not a big deal to me - I have other experiments and other sources for TC locks judging from responses from the forum here. (I also have a name of a TC vendor who may be willing to help.) We'll see what happens.
Regards,
Pletch

Pletch: From My experience dealing with other companies when trying to do product testing, You have to make it very clear that you expect to return the product, or buy it, depending on their policies. Many gun companies will send out samples for product review, and offer it to you at a huge discount if you buy it, rather than return it.

You might call T/C's President, or CEO, and talk directly to him about what you are doing, and arrange to send him copies of your prior articles. I am sure he will be impressed, and recognize a legitimate offer you are making.

Back