• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What finish for enfield musketoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hocuspocus

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I struggle to believe that the weatherby type gloss blue on my PH musketoons barrel and bands would be indicative of the period. Can someone clue me as to what finish would be correct?

It might have been a varnish finish, though I suspect it was probably just a straight oil finish. I'm sure someone will clue you in on the correct details.

Alexander L. Johnson said:
It might have been a varnish finish, though I suspect it was probably just a straight oil finish. I'm sure someone will clue you in on the correct details.

On the metal??????????

Sorry I should have looked at that post a bit more carefully, I was referring to the stock finish. Again, I might be off but I would suspect that it would have been a rust blue finish.

I believe the Enfield Musketoons as well as the two band and three band Rifles all had a high polish Blue on their barrels and barrel bands.

It would have been a rust blue finish but before one says a rust blue finish isn't as shiny as a Weatherby they should look at the fine Colt pistols that had that finish.

Zonie is right. Read the article by Geoff Walden, "The Enfield in the Civil War" linked here:
[url] http://authentic-campaigner.com/articles/walden/enfblue.htm[/url]

A very well researched article, especially when mentioning the original Enfields in the MOD Pattern Room.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect that most early colts actually had a charcoal blue finish with nitre blued screws. I've played around with the charcoal blueing process over the last year and it is capable of giving that wet ink black blue finish that collectors lust over, assuming you do the pre-polish right to begin with. The problem is that it looks pretty darn close to a high class caustic blue, at least close enough so most people would never know the difference which is kind of annoying in a sense.

Every rust blue that I have ever done, or seen has had a slight matt finish to them, not a lot, but certainly not shiny and it in no way reflects light like a modern blue finish does. If you think about it this makes since because there is an etching reaction the surface during the rusting process. Bivins thought this might be why the rust blue finish looks more blue than black due to the fact that there was more surface area reflecting light than was true in a highly polished modern blue (or charcoal blue for that matter).

As far as the original finish on those rifles if it was blued it would likely have been either a charcoal or rust blue and my vote would be toward the rust blue.

Latest posts

Back