• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What got you started?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been a history nut every since grade school .and thats been a lot of years ago .some friends i got started with was big in shooting in 1977 and been doing it every since
curt

Growing up in rural Eastern Maine I always liked hunting and shooting. Got very interested in our history, reading Kenneth Roberts' books, and lots of others about our early history. Then, as an outdoor writer, I went to a rendezvou and someone let me fire a flintlock at a paper target. The target turned into a buffalo, the smoke blew and a hole appeared amidship on the buff. :v I soon bought a muzzleloader and have been shooting them more and more ever since. I'm not very PC, I often go in the woods carrying T/C's version of a Hawken and wearing a replica 1860 Army Colt on my hip. :shocked2: I just like to shoot and hunt with the old guns. graybeard

Don Powell said:
What got you started in muzzle loading?

Late deer season was the primary reason for getting into muzzleloading.

The price of round balls relative to sabots or modern conicals was the primary reason for getting into traditional muzzleloading.

Being able to buy one mail order made it happen sooner rather than later.

-ktw

I've been shooting BP revolvers for years. Then I bought a kit because it was cheap. $45. Didn't know how to put it together so it sat for years unbuilt. What got everything going was seeing a Remington at their factory in Illion, NY.

I bought a Belgen "Zulu" smoothbore gun in 69 as a research project for college, no one was impressed but me. Took a few deer with it as I was a real starving student. I wish I still had it as the French flintlock would be worth a pretty penny now.

I was always a history buff and Disney's Davy Crockett sure didn't hurt either. My Dad was on his police depatment's shooting team and there were many summers spent at Camp Perry Ohio. My Grandpa and Dad were both hunters and encouraged me as well. I got the ML bug while in the Air Force, use to go bunny busting in Idaho with a Colt 61 Navy replica. I couldn't bring the black powder on base so at the end of the day, my friends and I would blow up something. For the last 15 years I've been a range officer on the Black Powder range at my local shooting club. Being a range officer has really helped my shooting experience. I probably see more problems and solutions to those problems than the average shooter. Also, at the range, we have reenactors from the French & Indian War to the Civil War (although no 1812 war reenactors yet) so I get to see lots of interesting firearms. Some folks are very period correct while others couldn't care less one way or the other. We even allow those folks with those new fangled cartridge things. :rotf:

Back in 1983 I was at a Civil War reenactment and a reenactor let me load and shoot his Enfield, I was 10 at the time. I've been hooked ever since.
Yellowhammer :v

Back in 1990 I wanted to take advantage of the special muzzleloader deer season. Started with a .50 caliber, percussion, T/C Hawken. Progressed (?) to those newfangled things we don't talk about, then took a U-Turn, back to more traditional percussion, and flintlock muzzleloaders. Since taking that U-Turn, it seems that I just can't get enough! :hatsoff:

I like and still like all kinds of shooting, but I love history as well, so Black powder Muzzle-loading was a natural step. Philosophically, I like the challenge of hunting with a single-shot; so as well as MLs, I also like early cartridge rifles such as trapdoor Springfields, and single-shot centrefires (shhh, don't tell anyone).

I will try and make a LONG STORY SHORT. Think it was 1969, or 1970 and I was Shooting at a Public Shooting Range NEAR SAUGAS CA. Call the San Franskito Shoot Range, (I am 110% Sure I SCREWED UP that Spelling). Well i was done shooting at the Public Range, and as i was loading up to head home noticed BLACK SMOKE Coming from one of the other RANGES. I wondered over and there was a Group of Guy Shooting SMOKE POLE. I look for a while, and one of the Guy noticed me, and asked if i wanted to TRY. I did, and was invited back to try some more on the Next Club Shoot. I went Back was fitted out with Muzzleloader, Powder, etc., and a Person who help me load etc. I was hooked, and want to do this more. Purchased a Civil War Musket from Numrich ARMS in NY, and like i said that was 1969, or 1970. Blame the BURBANK MUZZLELOADER'S for hooking me....

Don Powell said:
What got you started in muzzle loading?

For me, an article in Field and Stream by Jim Carmichael hunting some large ground squirrel with a bp way back in the early 70's.

Beeen hooked ever since. :thumbsup:

Substainance, it was a way of life. Was taught to squirrel hunt with a M/L rifle on the 1960's.

CP

I got into muzzle loaders because I wanted to hunt the early deer seasons.
Got into traditional muzzle loaders and then traditional flintlocks, because I wanted to get away from all the ultra magnum trends in spring gobbler hunting and I just had a very strong desire come over me to hunt with the same type long guns the old long hunters used.
This was my second yr. hunting spring gobblers with smooth bore flintlock and even though it did cost me a couple of nice gobblers this season that a modern shotgun would have done in..I can honestly say I have never... since I first picked the flintlock up and walked in the woods with it..had one second of desire to use a modern shotgun instead. Kinda like trainin wheels I guess..Can't remember ever wanting to put a set back on my bike.

Back