• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Got You Started?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never knew I was interested in one until I saw a .45 TC Hawken in kit form in a sporting goods store. I guess then the movie recollections kicked in and visions of Davy Crocket paraded through my 19 year old brain. At any rate there was no way I was leaving without that rifle. Putting it together and finishing it was a lot easier than learning how to shoot it. We lived literally at the end of the road and were many miles from the nearest town. It was all trial and error and it was years before I ever met another black powder shooter but I've been hooked ever since.

I think it was the sleek plastic stocks along with the effortless adjustments of the micro click peep sights and variety of inserts to choose from, and the devastating mass of the wide array of connical bullets that are now available and who can resist those powder pellets? :)

In the early 1960's I shot dove and quail with an old friend of the family who, often as not, did his shooting with an original English ML 14 gauge. Even when he used cartridge guns, they were all loaded with black powder. Ithica, LC Smith, Parker, Purdey, H&H. He shot like no one I've seen before or since, and I was more than convinced it was the black powder. Not surprisingly, my first ML was a double 12 gauge and I did a whole lot of bird hunting with it including waterfowl.

Got a little more meat on my bones and he got me into shooting his collection of fine old English and assorted European double rifles. Most were cartridge, but some were ML. He died while I was in high school and I got distracted by girls, college, wife, family and job, so it took quite a while to get around to the rifle side of things. Like about 40 years. Can't imagine why it took so long, but there you have it.

Never learned what became of all his guns, but I clearly remember a whole bunch of his "Kentucks" standing muzzle down in a wooden barrel like umbrellas in one corner of his living room. Those were every day guns, and the good ones were squirreled away with his other rifles and shotgun in his "gun room." No doubt he had several hundred guns, and the newest probably predated WWI. I'm betting the stuff is scattered through collections all over the country now.

Can you guess what pops up in my dreams sometimes?

Back