• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What guage for rabbit hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskasmoker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Im pretty unfalmiliar with how a blackpowder shotgun compares to a modern one in terms of stopping power.

Currently I have no problems putting Hares down with my 20 using #6 shot. Would a 20 in blackpowder be comprable?

was this a dumb question? I asked on another forum although not a dedicated muzzleloader forum but Im not getting a response there either.

Sure it would, just remember unless you have the barrel jug choked or a choke system installed, your shooting a cylinder bore so your pattern and range will be different from a modern shotgun.

alaskasmoker said:
was this a dumb question? I asked on another forum although not a dedicated muzzleloader forum but Im not getting a response there either.
Either a .54cal(.28ga) smoothbore or a .62cal(.20ga) would be plenty...I have both in flint and they're great for a variety of small game...have take squirrel, crow, and turkey so far. IMO, muzzleloaders can handle more shot than their comparable modern counter parts due to the lower pressures with blackpowder...so while I could shoot a typical 7/8oz shot charge that is normally used in a modern shotgun, I think the smallest shot charge I've ever used in my .62cal/.20ga has been 1 or 1+1/8 for trap or skeet targets. In my thick strong GM barrel 1+1/4oz is what I use for crow shooting.

At the URL I've posted below you'll find an outstanding article on .62cal/.20ga smoothbore muzzleloaders that you might want to bookmark. I've followed his advice for several years now and in particular note his .20ga turkey load is 1+5/8oz of #6's...I use it and dropped two Turkeys in their tracks with it last spring...(one is in my signature photo)...and have also applied the approach to my .54cal/.28ga, proportionally reduced as well.
http://members.aye.net/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html

Last edited by a moderator:
No no, I don,t think you are asking a silly question friend :wink: I tend to not think of guage comparing, it's more a distance thing for me. My 12g is cyl and cyl and so tend to not shoot past 30yds and I doubt a 20g is any different. I did own a choked 10g and that was caperble of more distance. I do believe that choked barrels are what increase effective range more so than how you load the gun :wink:
A good dog and bolting rabbits with a M/L is a wonderfull experience.
Good luck :hatsoff:

I have a Cabela's sxs 20ga.cap lock and it is a dream come true for rabbit hunting. modified right and cylinder on the left I think.I load one oz.of #5 shot over the same dipper of powder.Pyrodex becouse it's cheeper. :wink: Rocky

Certainly not a dumb question.

IMHO the lesser the choke the larger the bore. I have a straight cylinder in my New Englander and that's a 12 gauge. I need to throw as many pellets as possible.

Now, my Bess was 16 bore (the Light Infantry bore) and that I had to load down - mostly because I had to wait out sitting rabbits. ;-) Not a wing shooting gun.

In a centerfire I like the 20 ga. in I/C and Mod, and the 12 open choke muzzleloader doesn't throw near the pattern density of the I/C in my Ithaca/SKB.

Planning on having a jug choke added as soon as I get the New Englander boxed up.

used a 20ml for years on rabbits, never thought i was handicapped..

if you use the roundballs loads, you will do better than a modern 20..

..ttfn..grampa..

PS... think an open choke is the best choke for rabbits.. just point and shoot quick...

alaskasmoker said:
Im pretty unfalmiliar with how a blackpowder shotgun compares to a modern one in terms of stopping power.

Currently I have no problems putting Hares down with my 20 using #6 shot. Would a 20 in blackpowder be comprable?

When hunting rabbits with modern shotguns, I use either 20ga. or .410, but when I go with muzzleloader shotgun I use a 12ga. only because that's what I have. I wouldn't hessitate to use 20ga. muzzleloader shotgun for rabbits though. They're pretty easy to kill. :2

Any shotgun you have can be used to kill rabbits. They do not have thick skins, so you don't need heavy pellets. You do need a load that patterns well, so you do need to spend time with paper and pattern whatever load you choose to use. That cylinder bore is going to limit the effective range to 25-30 yards depending on what load is used, and what size shot you choose. In a 12 ga. an oz. of #6 shot should produce pretty good groups out to 30 yards, and kill rabbits easily. In fact, #6 shot should work in most shotgun. Even the 1/2 oz. of shot in the .410 will kill a rabbit if you hit it. Since rabbits are so unpredictable in how they run and jump, the more open pattern of a cylinder bore gun is actually an advantage. Getting close to them is generally not a problem. Use 5/8 oz of shot in the .28, 3/4 oz in the 20, 7/8 oz in the 16 and 1 oz in the 12 gauge.

The nice thing about ML shotguns is that you can load them DOWN easily, so if you want 20 gauge performance from a 12 gauge gun, just load the 20 gauge load of powder and shot in your 12 gauge and you have it. You can even shoot a 1/2 oz. of shot to mimic a .410 if you must, out of your 12 gauge.

The benefit of lighter loads in large bore shotguns is that they generally pattern better than the load will do out of the gauge they are designed for, simple because fewer pellets are rubbing against the inside of the barrel in the larger bore.

Back