• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What gun would you recommend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnieonetrack

Pilgrim
Reaction score
If you could hunt squirrels and hogs at the same time would you use a smooth bore or rifle? Have to use the same load for both animals, not sure what may walk out.

Thanks,

Don

This is just my opinion an it aint worth nothing but if it were me going to hunt the 2 critters you mentioned I would get myself a 62 smothbore. you could use shot for squirrel an a 600 ball for hogs. It would get er done :thumbsup:

In that case a rifle. Shoot squirrels in the head and hogs wherever you shoot hogs. A .50 sounds good.

Fifty or .54. That assures enough oomph for hogs and will work fine on squirrels if you do head shots. Like you said, have to use the same load for both so, IMO, that leaves out the smoothie in terms of a shot load since it will not be useful on the hog. Could load the smoothie with buckshot, but how would that work on squirrels! :shocked2:

You could use the recommended .40 or .45 too if the hogs will be small. In my hog hunting experience, most are small but there have been several that would probably need at least a .50 to take them down.

Donnieonetrack said:
If you could hunt squirrels and hogs at the same time would you use a smooth bore or rifle? Have to use the same load for both animals, not sure what may walk out.

Thanks,

Don

SxS .20/.16/.12ga...PRB load and a shot load

Thanks guys, I was thinking of a flintlock 45 cal. long gun.

Just got bad news on my SxS 14 ga. its not shootable so, its only a wall hanger. Was hopeing to sell it and buy a Flintlock. O well its back to my 50 cal. cap gun.

Don

One other option is...to use a .62cal. smoothbore and work out a load that shoots good turkey pattern with pellets and is accurate with round ball using same amount of powder.

When you hunt take round ball and pellets and only load the powder. Load round ball or pellets after you hear a gobble or see hogs. Would add extra challenge to the hog, but should have plenty of time to load pellets for turkey.

I would use my Pedersoli SxS 20 gauge with the left barrel with shot and the right barrel with a ball..., the left barrel is modified choke, the right is Improved Cylinder.

Now if I was going to buy a gun for the dual purpose, the folks are correct, you can use any number of rifles, and take head shots, or a good smoothbore, and have packets of shot and a bullet board standing by to add the projectiles that you need when you spot the game.

All of the above will work. :grin:

Is your shotgun an antique, or is it a repro that has worn out? I ask as just because it don't shoot, doesn't mean it isn't worth enough money to get you into a new gun or get you close.

LD

Latest posts

Back