• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What happens when you buy a new pistol the morning of a shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly Adams

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to the stony creek muzzleloading shoot on Saturday and shortly after arriving, I began cruising around the vendor tents. In one of them was a pistol, english style, percussion, .45 with 1-20 rifling twist. And best of all, a very reasonable price! Needless to say it was mine after haggling with the guy a bit. Lots of folks were coming up and complimenting me on the gun and asking me if it was a good shooter. Needless to say, they did not expect the "Im not sure, I just bought the thing" :youcrazy: After doing okay with my rifle, I took my new pistol out on the trail. First shot ever with the gun resulted in a bullseye in the tiebreaker. My new gun and I continued on the course, and we obviously got along pretty well, only missed two out of 15 total targets! She's a keeper :grin:

Good deal, a great shooter, a keeper and a fine looking piece! :bow:

Can't get any better than that! Makes me want a new flintlock pistol.... I hate when I start getting those feelings. :hmm:

Thank you all for the kind words! :grin: You can find this same gun on The Gun Works' website if you are interested. The man who built my pistol over a decade ago was at the shoot, believe it or not! The wood is highly figured walnut, much nicer than most of the walnut I have seen, to the point I initially thought it was maple! It has a 10" Oregon barrel, L&R manton lock (already fell in love with it) and a super light, L&R single set trigger. I was actually waiting for track to get some parts back in stock and then order one of their Kentucky pistol parts sets until this came along. Better yet, this gun cost less than the kit would have!

Thanks, you answered a question I posted awhile back on this pistol. will order now.

I asked some folks at the Phoenix shoot and they seemed to really like the pistol, though they liked the pistol made about 10 years ago better.

My thoughts are maple in percussion and flintlock and in .36.

I like the looks of the pistol.

The man whom I purchased this pistol from said he had had it for a decade, so mine is at least that old. A .36 would make a fine gun, and very cheap to feed!

I bought a used target pistol myself (Probably from the 70's) just recently, and have yet to shoot her, lacking a few accoutrements.

It's the left handed rifle in your picture which really catches my eye though!

I feel good just reading this post. You had a great day, got yourself a really nice pistol, and shot it well. :thumbsup:

That's a nice looking knife in the photo, too.

I bought one of those from The Gun Works about 10 years ago for my wife. A 50 cal. flint lock. Well made and a good shooter. You sure hit a lick on that one Sir. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys! For those who are interested, the knife was given to me by a friend, and I made the copper bolster and Osage handle scales for it. And the rifle pictured is a TVM southern rifle in .45 that I built from a kit- my first build. Again, thanks for all the kind words :grin:

Many thanks, that was the first thing that really stood out to me was the figure in the wood. Never have I seen walnut with that much striping in it!

Back