• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What I learned at the NYSMLA shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdirondakDD

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Brought my 62 flint smoothbore to the NYSMLA Fall shoot, this was my first time shooting a flint and a smoothie. I also had my new GPR. I started out with the GPR and Pyrodex. Had no problems hitting black. On to the flint. Pan flash only. At once I am surronded by helpful flinters all with suggestions about flash holes and pan powder. As soon as I confess to the Pyrodex they all say USE BLACK POWDER. One of them gives me a pound of Elephant 3f. Rest of the day no problems.Lesson 1 use BP. Halfway through I still have not hit paper at 50 yds, I flinch when I hear the flint hit the frizzen. Observed by others not me. I load a ball with no powder. :eek: Again more help. The success was by poking the ball with a cleanout wire to make some space for powder to get into. One person had 7f powder It worked.Lesson 2 Everyone is there to help you. I learned more at one shoot then all the books or forums could possbly teach me.
Ilearned how to

Hi Lou,
Good to hear you had a good time, I live only a few miles from there, and usually go down to check out what the sutlers have for sale, then go down to the firing line to watch 'em shoot,always a bunch of nice guns to look at, and usually find some one to chat with. Great bunch of people there,I'm sorry I couldn't make it down there this year, but theres always the spring shoot.

Latest posts

Back