• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is a good book about mountain men?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is a good book about how mountain men lived on a daily basis. Maybe something along the lines of a diary or something to tell the details of what everyday life was like for them. Early to mid 1800's. Thanks.

Give Your Heart to the Hawks by Winfred Blevins and Across The Wide Missouri by Bernard DeVoto are both great books, and may be what you are looking for.

Goex54,
My two, of course! But if you are looking for a good journal or diary with great descriptions of life in the west-try Warren Ferris' Life in the Rocky Mountains. It is probably one of the most used in my library and his writing is easy to read, very above average.
mike.

along with those recommended above lots of info here..........much of it online......[url] http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/amm.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody for the suggestions! I travel a lot need some new reading material. I'l probably pick 2 or 3 and start there.

The first one, Heroes to Me, is a collection of my first 50 articles on the early west. Lots of basic questions were answered (how long did they live, what was their camp like, along with a collection of about 25 first hand descriptions of the trappers, adventurers and explorers) in this. The main thought on this one is that while there are alot of myths and made up stories on the trappers, mountian men and western people- the real stories are much better than the made up ones. It did well with four good magazine reviews, went to four printings and maybe reprinted again here soon. There are still some around, I saw one on[url] Amazon.com[/url] recently (but it was considered a collector's book and was about 50% higher than when it was new).
The second is Rocky Mountain Life. I pulled from 28 dated journals and diaries a collection of interesting daily entries that fill up a year's time. Most are ones you have never seen or read, but gives what life really was like for those who lived it. Has humor, deaths, love, and you get to see the seasonal changes and flow along with the small things we never think about. In its third printing, still in print, with three good magazine reviews.
The third one, which should be out in the next month, is a continuation of the first book with another 25 or so topicial studies on the west. Each different than the first book, alittle deeper in content and with more references. I have seen the proof copy and it looks good.
All of these books, like my writing for On The Trail magazine, are well researched, but not too scholarly to be boring. The the third book has a bibliography of about 65 books. I am doing the research now on my fourth, and have about 105 pages of notes on the Indians found in the west during this time. Sounds like alot, but I am only to the Nez Perce.
mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good site.
If you explore under miscelleaous items of interest, you will see a large data base of names of people that show up the journals and diaries of the time. There is about 2500 +/- names and about 4500 places where they show up at. I updated it a year and a half ago and will do it again in another year.
If you are looking for some one specifically, this is a good place to start. I used about 80 books for the information and will probably add another 100-150 names the next time along with many more refereneces. It is usually a winter project I do when things slow down.
Some of the names there are quite unique.
mike.

Cool.

I have never seen an On The Trail, though I keep hearing good things about it. Do they get into the fur trade in the Great Lakes region as well?

I will have to try to find one or both of your books.

Thanks

~Riley

Howdy Mike -
Yep I've referred to your stuff on that site quite a bit - have you ever found any info on Bill Burrows other than the image of him sketched/painted by Miller?
I've searched and searched, but nothing so far -
We share a common surname and he's a spitting image of my Dad so, I'd be real interested in finding out more about him......Davy Crockett was my first inspiration (at the age of 4) for my life long interest in the frontier and that picture of Bill Burrows was my second - my folks gave me a copy of DeVoto's "Across the Wide Missouri" for my eighth birthday, little realizing what it would spark! (they didn't know about the picture of Ole Bill...)

Hello,
Not a Bill Burrows, but can do some checking.
May take me a few days, will see what I come up with.
mike.

Thanks - and if you're ever down Durango way, give me a shout. My contact info is on my website.....

if you want " give your heart to the hawks" i have a spare book that i can let you have. PM me with your address and i'll send it asap.

Few days back someone posted a request for any books about MM/Trappers. I have a reference.
'Journal of a Trapper' by Osborne Russel
or 'Nine Years in the Rocky Mountains'
copyright 1914, SYMS-York co., inc. Boise Idaho.
reprinted 1994 by Triton Press.
Library of Congress # 56-52
I have it, quite a story
:hatsoff:

Back