• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what is a pre-inlet stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at the track of the wolf web site at flintlock kits and I was wondering what a pre-inlet stock is.

It means 95% to 98% of the barrel inlet and in some cases, which will be noted, the lock and maybe the trigger, trigger guard, butt plate. You still have to fit these parts but most of the work which done my machine is already done for you on that set of parts.

It is different on most venders, so you need to Ask/see what they are doing at each place.

To some a preinlet stock has the barrel channel cut, the RR hole drilled, butt shaped & that's it. You have to do the lock inlet, trigger inlet, buttplate, forestock, sideeplate, RR & entrypipes, etc. Some do 90% of the lock inletting, some do 50%, etc. Just depends on the vender. Some of the venders have web sires & show you what theirs look like.

In Track's parlance, this is a shaped and pre-inlet stock:

stk-102_1.jpg

This is a shaped non-inlet stock:

stk-hpf_1.jpg

I believe as a "default" all of their shaped stocks come the the barrel channel cut and ramrod hole drilled, whether they are pre-inlet or non-inlet. Make sure tho before you order.

Pre-Inlet usually (but not always), gets you the lock, triggers, etc., about 90% inlet as shown in their photos.

I believe also they will do as much or as little as you want inletwise, you just have to call them.

Why don't you just call TOW and have it explained to you what their precarves include and what options are available?......Fred

Sometimes, pre-inlet stocks are a nightmare. Whenever you use one, it's like handing somebody else the keys to drive your car. You've given up all control and have no choices left.

Plus,
I find the locks are actually harder to fit.
With the flat plane of the non-inlet, you decide where the bolster goes.
Then you have a nice flat surface to cut in the lock.
It's a little harder to inlet the action, but only the first couple.
When they mill out....some of the wood... it's hard to figure out what to remove and what not to.
JHMO

Very true. Setting the lockplate on an inlet it almost fits is a nightmare as it wants to rock and tip as it is being inlet. I'd prefer to inlet the lock myself. Plus pre-inlet stocks usually have no square surfaces and that makes it harder to drill the necessary holes for pins, keys and bolts, and harder to keep things square and plumb. Obviously there are a lot of advantages also and everybody has to decide what they like to do, and what they'd prefer be done for them.

For the inexperienced builder, the precarve stock also presents shaping challnges as there is a bias to just mildly refine the shape already established. This usually results in a bulky gun with little style.

Back