• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is drill cloth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankfannin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen pocket drill and drill cloth mentioned several times as being good for shooting patches.
No one at my local JoAnn's, WalMart or Hobby Lobby has a clue what that is. Is there another name? Does it say drill cloth on the label? I'd like to try some for patching if I could identify and find it. What color is it?

As always - thanks

Greyhawk

Greyhawk, Take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_(fabric) Also, if you go to the Jo Ann fabric website and search for "pocket drill," you'll find they do actually stock it, and probably more than one variety as well. Btw, my local Jo Ann's does carry it under that name, but who knows whom they hire and how new personnel are trained.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many kinds of cloth called 'drill'. I don't know one from the other by looking at it. I have bought and tried drill that was very loose and weak weave. I have seen others that more resembled denim. My choice for patch cloth is: pure cotton, tight weave and right thickness for my needs. If it works, it works.

I have switched to cotton felt for all my ball and cleaning patch needs. I get it from my worn out Field and Stream shirts I buy at Costco.
It is the best cloth I have ever seen for both jobs as it is very tough, tightly weaved , soft and best of all............. FREE!
It measures .018 and does not fray out either. Mike D.

At my Joanns I asked and they knew drill. I asked what was the difference between drill and duck and they showed me samples of the way the threads ran.

"If Joannes doesn't know what it is you spoke to someone that's clueless and should not be working in a fabric shop."

Why do you tell a guy with an honest Q,something like that? He has no control over JoAnn Fabric hiring practices.

Most of the people working there now tie a knot in the tread they use to sew on a button. This is not 1954; there are no Butterick catalogs @ Jo Ann F these days.

OP, ask for that heavy material they use to make overcoat pockets.

Maybe he could go back and speak to someone at Joannes that works in the fabric department.
Asking a teenager stocking shelves in the hobby craft area might not be the best choice.
Sorry, my mother was a seamstress, I've been around fabric and sewing all my life.

Many folks with computers have a printer, I provided a link to Joannes Drill fabric, printing that page (that includes the stock number) and returning to the same store and the same "clerk" might provide education for both.

Forums can help people, but I can't take folks by the hand and walk them into the store and show them, unless they wanna drive up here to Minn.

First time I walked in and asked for it the fabric dept. clerk had no idea. With both of us doing some detective work we found the #40 drill I had asked for. It's there, just keep looking.

Response to topic-

I bought some drill a couple of years ago.
It only measured .014 but it's so dense
it was harder to load than .018 pillow ticking.

The Lawton Hobby Lobby has drill cloth. The lady told me muzzleloader shooters often buy the stuff.

Drill cloth is the best material i have found for round ball patches.

#40 is the drill size or guage of the thickness of the cloth.
Screenshot_20240627_111413_Chrome.jpg

Found it on their website.
Screenshot_20240627_110706_Chrome.jpg

Unfortunately says no stores in my area have it in stock, and is not available for shipping 😢
Screenshot_20240627_110745_Chrome.jpg

Latest posts

Back