• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is drill cloth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only been able to find drill cloth at JoAnne's Fabrics. It may be called pocket drill or #40 Cotton Drill. Its often found with pillow ticking or muslin fabrics.
It is generally placed in the utility cloth section. Earlier in the year, I finally found it in the 5th Joann's I went to ; and that was quite a distance away in the next county over. Do call first if three store-site says they have it - just so you don't waste your time driving all over. And yes, I got a bunch while I was there.

I guess the OP never came back, but finally got notified Jo-Ann's had it back in stock, immediately ordered 10 yards, that should last me a while.

I just hope that they haven't changed the product, saw one review stating that he had been buying it for years to use for patch material, and the last order he received was a completely different texture and weave than what he had recieved previously.

Just got notified that my order has shipped, guess I will find out soon!
Order arrived safely today, looks as described, my micrometer measures it at .018" uncompressed and .009" compressed. I cut and lubed some strips with 1:6 ballistol: water, they're drying now, can't wait to try them.
20240802_161408.jpg

Last edited:
Order arrived safely today, looks as described, my micrometer measures it at .018" uncompressed and .009" compressed. I cut and lubed some strips with 1:6 ballistol: water, they're drying now, can't wait to try them.
View attachment 338756

You don't wash the fabric and dry it first?

LD

LD
You beat me to it!
JD you need to wash it to remove the sizing and shrink it then iron it. I've used this drill cloth for years. And if you ever want to use spit patch that sizing tastes terrible ;)

LD
Normally yes, but have a match Sunday morning, and wanted to sight in and test it, before the match. Sighted in at 100yds and using my usual 10oz Denim which measures .023" uncompressed and .012" compressed, shot a 5 shot group that measures 3.8".

Using the drill cloth, point of impact was a couple inches higher, and off to the right at 2:00, adjusted sights and shot a five. Shot group that measures 4.1".

Gun was .50cal T/C Hawken with 32" GM barrel using .490" balls over 70gr. FFFg, so accuracy was very comparable, but loading was noticeably easier, had to use a short starter with hand pressure, but did not have to use a mallet to start the ball as I had to with the thicker Denim. Recovered patches all looked perfect, So farr I like it!

I washed it tonight, but ironing 10 yards will be a job for another evening. Once I prep it and do a proper load development, am confident it will match or best the thicker Denim for accuracy, and load a lot easier.

Actually loads so much easier, I decided not to sight back in with the Denim, and plan to use what I already have lubed as is, in the 100yd stage of the match tomarrow morning.

It’s sooooo much easier to just order it. Free shipping, and you don’t have to go thru the employees not knowing what or where it is, or pay for the gas and wear and tear to get there.

It’s sooooo much easier to just order it. Free shipping, and you don’t have to go thru the employees not knowing what or where it is, or pay for the gas and wear and tear to get there.
I agree 👍 💯 %

Match went well, shot high score on two stages, including my first "50" target. Finishing second overall aggregate for the match. Am liking the drill cloth so farr!

20240804_135947.jpg

Stayed after the match to do a little more load development, thought I recalled someone saying it was too loose when I described hoe much easier it was to load, but can't find the post now. Perhapse it was just the little red shooting coach on my shoulder with the horns and tail, but of course they where correct, went to a .495" ball instead of. 490" and upped the powder charge about 5 grains and had to go back to using a mallet to start the ball, but groups shrank a little more, and got more stable/predictable.

Last edited:
And, @JDBraddy, with the sizing washed out, the drill cloth holds the lubricant better. I prefer to dampen the drill cloth just before cutting at the muzzle. Keeps the fouling soft and reduces fouling build up.
When you say you prefer to dampen the drill cloth just before cutting at the muzzle, what does that mean? Do you dampen the entire strip at the range, dampen just the patch you are using before loading, or dampen the end of the strip after seating the ball, but before you cut, or just put the end of the strip in your mouth to moisten it before seating the ball and cutting. Please clairify.

@JDBraddy, I just dampen enough of the cloth that will be wrapped around the ball to be started. Once the ball is started with the top of the ball slightly below the crown, the excess patch material is cut away. The short starter pushes the ball and patch down the bore and the rest of the loading is done with the ramrod.

Latest posts

Back