• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is it??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moconfed

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently purchased a misc. lot of barrels at an aution and found one 32" smoothbore with the frame attached. It's missing the hammer, spring and stock. I was wondering what it is and if it is worth fixing up or should I get rid of it as scrap metal.

The barrel, frame and lock cover all have the same serial numbers hand stamped, but there are no manufacturer stamps anywhere else. Below are photos of the item.
oldgun.jpg

apart.jpg

Backside.jpg

When you say there is no other marking on it, have you looked under the wooden forearm? Often there will be markings such as proof stamps etc on the bottom of the barrel.

Do you have any photos of the other side? They might help identify it.

The only markings under the front stock are the stamped serial numbers 1754.

Here is a view of the other side.

front.jpg

It looks very similar to the iron framed Mowrey rifle, here
except for the "saw handle".
It is very familiar, tho... I shall have to do some more digging...
best
shunka

I looked in Flayderman's Guide to Firearms,7th edition,and on page 247,at the bottom there is a shotgun that looks like yours.It is a Whitney percussion shotgun,made 1866-1869.Says here that surplus .58 caliber rifle barrels were reamed to about .60 caliber(20 gauge),and used on this model.I'd shop for a hammer and spring and fix it up to shoot!

I agree, looks like a Wesson style. Wonder if that thing could be made functional?

Back