• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is Murthy's soap and Witch Hazel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can somebody please tell me what the above ingredients of Moose milk are? Both totally unknown to me.

I did an internet search and I answered my own question. Perhaps I should rather ask does anybody know about something similar to Murthy's soap supplied in South Africa?

Murphy Oil Soap is an oil based liquid soap which is an all purpose cleaner and is mild enough to use on wood floors. Witch hazel is an herbal extract that is a mild cleansing astringent used for skin care. You can find both of these products at Walmart, or the Murphy Oil Soap at almost any hardware store and the witch hazel at almost any drug store.

Boer said:
Perhaps I should rather ask does anybody know about something similar to Murthy's soap supplied in South Africa?

I got a question out to Murphy Oil Soap to see if they import to South Africa...

I will post their reply here as soon as I get it...

Musketman said:
Boer said:
Perhaps I should rather ask does anybody know about something similar to Murthy's soap supplied in South Africa?

I got a question out to Murphy Oil Soap to see if they import to South Africa...

Whoop! I didn't even notice Boer's address. That might make obtaining Murphy Oil Soap a problem.

I can't get Murphy's in New Zealand either. I bought some in the US in July when I visited Birddog6 and carried it home.
I am campaigning Cologate to import into NZ and Australia though they have yet to reply to me :nono:

I read that witch hazel got too expensive a long time ago, and the stuff we can get now has only a trace if any - it's mainly diluted alcohol.

WRussell said:
I read that witch hazel got too expensive a long time ago, and the stuff we can get now has only a trace if any - it's mainly diluted alcohol.

I just looked at mine and according to the label it only contains 14% alcohol. It is a distilled extract so there is probably some water in it and it doesn't say anything about water of the amount of actual witch hazel extract. However, I don't think it matters. No matter what the percentages are, it still works.

Is the witch hazel so it doesn't freeze? I've made the moose milk before. I was told if you don't want it to freeze add rubbing alchohol.

The last batch I made I used a dollar store wood soap. It's worked out fine. Would any old cutting oil work as well? MY receipe said NAPA only, just wondering. :hmm:

Murphy's Oil Soap is a liquid detergent, but not like a dishwashing variety. It is a vegetable based soft soap. More like saddle soap, if you can find that. It is used to clean and protect wood paneling and furniture. Pine-Sol may work as a substitute, but I never fully tested that variation. (It works, but I don't know about potential rusting or rust protection qualities).

The Witch Hazel is an extract of a low-canopy tree hereabouts. What I have found it does is prevent the soaps and alcohol in the lube from causing the oils to bead up - giving uneven smears of lube. The Witch Hazel helps and keeps it smeared or coating evenly. It also adds some vegetable oils to the lube.

I believe it was Superflint that posted a lube recipe with witch-hazel in it and I wanted to know "why that?", so I made some with and without. It makes a noticable difference, especially whan cold. I smeared lubes on metal and glass to see how well they coated.

The last Witch Hazel I bought came in a pint container. It claims to be 86% witch hazel and 14% alcohol. It is made by Cumberland Swan in Smyrna, TN. This came from the local Red China Mart, but I'm sure you can find it or something just like it at a local drug store. Maybe even down under.

Musketman said:
Boer said:

I just got their reply, here it is...

Laura Consumer Affairs Representative said:
Dear Mr Morris

Thank you for contacting us with your question. Your interest in our
company and our products is greatly appreciated.

Murphy Oil Soap is not available in South Africa. You should
contact our office in South Africa for the availability of our products there.

Sincerely,

Laura
Consumer Affairs Representative
Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you all. Saddle soap is available so I guess I will try that and forget about the Hazel. Thanks again.

Boer said:
Thank you all. Saddle soap is available so I guess I will try that and forget about the Hazel. Thanks again.

Locally you have Black Soap, have you ever tried that?
[url] http://www.nasabb.com/nasabbnew/blacksoap.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I have found the piece on black soap very interesting, but it is definitely not common in Southern Africa. Personally I have never seen it in South Africa or neighbouring countries like Zimbabwe and Namibia. Animal fats (hippo was often killed for this purpose) with lye was often used to make soap. If lye was not available from other sources it was obtained from "Asbos"or Ashbush. We do have soap plants like the "seepplant" or soap plant "ubhubhubhu" in Zulu. Perhaps somebody else knows it.

Cheers

Sounds like you're in an ideal position to try some different materials for patch lubes. I wanted to work one up from castor oil so here's how I set about it.

Rust - I smeared 15 different likely substances on bare steel to see if they caused rust. Glycerin draws rust like a magnet. Beeswax and some oil soaps prevent it better than some gun oils.

Smear - does it spread evenly? Is the bore coated completely? I smeared test batches on glass and metal to see how it coated and stuck.

Protection - does it prevent rust? I smeared a sheet of bare steel and then fired off blackpowder on it, then hosed it off and waited. This seperates the good lubes from the great lubes.

Cleanup - does it keep the fouling soft? Does it clean off and not build-up itself? Tallow has a bad characteristic of becoming very hard and waxy in the cold (not a problem for you I imagine) and is hard to wash away; trapping fouling with it. Water and a little soap are the ideal blackpowder solvent, so if you can work that into the mix you can be assured loading will remain easy.

Accuracy - does my gun like it? This is the final and a very important test. Each rifle is a bit different and some have a fussy streak.

Gather up anything you've heard used as a lube that is available to you and give it a try. You can work with an oil that is soluable (i.e. cutting oil in water, castor oil in alcohol (which is then water soluable), or stick to a "pure" lube like rendered animal grease. Our native bears seem to have been designed with a rifle lube in mind; but supply can be limited and some spoilage may occur.

Good places to start are any "household" compounds used to protect high carbon knives from rust or as a lubricant for the hinges of bullet moulds made from steel.

Boer said:

What are you import laws like, perhaps one of us could send you some Murthy's Oil Soap??? :hmm:

Musketman

Thank you for the generous offer. I guess our import laws would not be a problem. I have imported various things, mostly books from the USA with little problems. However the total cost of shipping is so high that I believe it would not be worth while sending this on its own. I will look around and see if I can find something comparable locally. I will let you know.

Latest posts

Back