• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the big barrel in the Le Mat used for

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read two articles that have contradictory views of the center barrel of a Le Mat pistol. One said that it's a 20 gauge shotgun barrel (and I saw 'duelist1954" use it thusly). But then I read in a sales article that it's for a round ball, maybe .75. caliber. Any information on what it was used with? Each time I loaded it was with powder, wadding, 5 or 6 00 buckshot, and overshot wad. Either way sounds good to me.

First time I learned about the LeMat was a sales advert for a gold-engraved replica in a Civil War Magazine issue some thirty years ago. It purported the shotgun barrel fired a .65 grapeshot round and included a gold-plated example for the display (gold-plated revolver shot as well).

It's my understanding it's a 14 gauge shotgun barrel. It should be loaded with buck, or buck and ball.

A cursory search for "gold engraved Lemat" turned up an American Historical Foundation website selling the J.E.B. Stuart commemorative LeMat from that magazine I saw so long ago. It's advertised as a 9-shot .44 with a .65 grapeshot (approx. 18-gauge).
Then again, this is hardly a practical example of a working firearm. Don't know the manufacturer nor where they got the build specs from.

Last edited:
I have read two articles that have contradictory views of the center barrel of a Le Mat pistol. One said that it's a 20 gauge shotgun barrel (and I saw 'duelist1954" use it thusly). But then I read in a sales article that it's for a round ball, maybe .75. caliber. Any information on what it was used with? Each time I loaded it was with powder, wadding, 5 or 6 00 buckshot, and overshot wad. Either way sounds good to me.

The LeMat was first patented in 1856..., one of the original investors was P.T. Beauregard, and because he went on to become a General in the CSA, he obtained a bunch of "his" revolvers for the CSA. Manufacturing started in Philadelphia and then went to Liege, Belgium as well as Paris, France.

The original LeMat had a some variations based on who ordered them and when, but the Confederate Army apparently had them in 20 gauge (well really 22 gauge .600 barrels) and .42 caliber revolvers. There were some made with .35 caliber revolver portions and 28 gauge shotgun barrels. After the ACW began, apparently because of the oddity of the caliber, the LeMats were retooled to be made in .44, as well as .36. Most folks think that the end of the ACW was the end of the LeMat, that it was a "Confederate Cavalry revolver", but as it was made in Europe, it continued to be produced and sold and saw action in the Franco Prussian War of 1870. In fact there were some made to use pinfire cartridges after the ACW.

The revolver was sometimes called in the 19th century a "Grape Shot Revolver" due to the shotgun barrel shooting shot..., this confuses some folks who think the nick-name means the shotgun barrel is meant to shoot a piece of actual .750 caliber grape shot..., and authors sometimes then say the smoothbore barrel is .75 caliber. 😣

The copies have 20 gauge barrels and .44 caliber bores for the revolver.

There is some indication that Confederate Cavalry liked to employ the tactic of riding up close to the enemy as if to actually charge through their opponents, but to turn and employ shortened SxS shotguns, and then to switch to revolvers, and withdraw. They would reload and then repeat this maneuver. Some people have written that the LeMat was designed then to do both, the Confederate Trooper would have two LeMat revolvers, ride up with them set to shoot the shotgun barrels, fire them at close range, and then switch the hammers to give the trooper 9 shots in each hand for a total of 18, which was the equivalent of a person using Colt or Remington revolvers having three revolvers AND a SxS shotgun. The problem with this myth, is that the LeMat as previously mentioned, was patented many years before the Confederate Cavalry employed the tactic. ;)

LD

Found that magazine ad (Civil War Times, December 1987) and it's the same American Historical Foundation commemorative for Jeb Stuart. A firing blackpowder replica they were selling for $2200 back in 1987 dollars. Today they're still trying to sell them for over three grand.

Back