• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is this 50cal worth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCode98

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea about this, I like percussion revolvers but have never looked into rifles. This is my wife's rifle that she inherited from her late Grandfather. The bore looks great but something got on the outside of the barrel and has done a little damage as you can see. She wanted me to sell it if possible and I knew this would be the place to ask. I'd like to find out and sell it to a member here honestly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This rifle would be an absolute gem of a rifle to antique I think!

It looks like you have a CVA knock off of a Thompson Center Hawken rifle. CVA barrels were pretty good.

Some of those "Hawken" rifles can be very good shooters but they are in no way representative of original rifles of the real Hawken period. Trying to make it look like an antique would just lower the value even more. I'd say just get into muzzleloading rifles by shooting it. The accuracy may surprise you.

A half decent CVA Hawken in the $150.00 range. You ain't gonna hurt it & done right might even improve it so, antique away to your hearts content/

Some of those "Hawken" rifles can be very good shooters but they are in no way representative of original rifles of the real Hawken period. Trying to make it look like an antique would just lower the value even more. I'd say just get into muzzleloading rifles by shooting it. The accuracy may surprise you.

I'm trying to gather up enough money to buy my son's first rifle. A Rossi 92 in 38/357

In that condition I’d say 150-200. That would be the perfect rifle to teach your son the basics of firearm safety, maintenance and shooting. That rifle has all the potential in the world for 1st rate accuracy. A lot cheaper to shoot than a 357 or 38 model 92. I own several Rossi 92’s, they are great guns. You can down load this hawken and get the foundation for basics with your son. Teach him how to shoot without trigger flinch.

I'm trying to gather up enough money to buy my son's first rifle. A Rossi 92 in 38/357
I believe at some point in the future your son will regret that you sold his great grandfather’s gun. I would do everything you could to hold on to it. It is near impossible to replace a great grandfather’s gun once it’s sold down the road. Ask the folks around here. Many of my grandfather’s guns were stolen because of a careless uncle not paying attention. Never got them back.

Correct they were not period correct. I have 2 of the same rifle one in 50 and 54. Bought mine in 1977 when I turned 18 and both are very accurate. They both have killed a lot of deer also. I think it would be wise to keep it and shoot it,alot. It has a 1 in 66 twist for round ball. Either .490 or .495, Try both and see which shoots better. 90 GR 2F is my hunting load.

It has a 1 in 66 twist for round ball
Pretty sure that one is a 1:48. But, that's irrelevant to it's utility alone. All my 1:48 guns are great shooters.

I'm not sure about this but I think the CVA guns carry the year of manufacture in the first two SN digits which would make it a 1983. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about that!

It is not in poor shape but not pristine either, I'm with the others if the bore is not all pitted $150-$200 dollar range. A little TLC it could bring a little more. The finish to the barrel can be brought back with some 0000 steel wool and cold blueing from Birchwood Casey or Brownell's. It won't be perfect but 100% better. I'm also with the others, seeing it's not a $2000 antique I would keep it and pass it on.
You might be surprised if you take it out and shoot it some. I'm pretty sure an owners manual for it is available on line for download.
Edit: insert manual I just looked in my saved manuals and I have one which I've attached.

Attachments

• CVA sidelock_manual.pdf
    154.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It is of poor condition and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the bore has not been cared for and is rusted as well. The price of $150 is at the top end for this relic --- . Let's say that someone bought it for $150 had it rebored, and the outside rust removed and re-blued or "antiqued" he is now most likely up to $450 for a not-so-great gun -. If you find a "sucker" er - I mean buyer for your inflated price of $350 - $400 good for you - you just ripped off that poor unsuspecting buyer who will be cursing your name for a LONG time. But - you don't care you got your money and dumped a pile of manure on someone else - good for you!
Fix it up and keep it - save your money to get that family member the rifle he wants or the one YOU want him to have.

Back