• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is you Favorite type of muzzleloading Shooting Competition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Given a choice of shot Primitive, or non paper Target, or Paper Only would would you ALL TIME Personal preference be.

I personally never had much fun Punching Paper, as it seemed boring.

Many year ago the So. Cal. Club I use to shoot with Monthly has an event they Called a STEAK SHOOT.

The Target was a 2” x 4” Board about 4” Tall burring in the Ground so from 25 or 50 Yards you could see the Four inch Section. The 4” Section had a Line Drawn horizontally across the board about 3 Foot off the ground. We choose Team by Random number, and Tow Tearms shot their Board above the Line until the boar WAS CUT off Completely, and the Top Part fell to the Ground.

Most of the Winning Teams Shot, .54ers, and .58’s or bigger Caliber Muskets. Was always amazing how fast some of the Team could cut their board.

:hmm: If the black powder gods invented anything more fun than a woods-walk with primitive targets they must have kept it to themselves IMHO
Soggy

Paper is boring to me, and I only use it as a tool for two reasons:
1) Trying a different load or zeroing/rezeroing a rilfe;
2) Practicing head shots on squirrels by putting rows of 1" stickers on a piece of cardboard;

Otherwise, 99% of the time I like action/reaction type targets...coke cans, pine cones, empty .12ga shotgun hulls, a steel hanging plate, etc.

Shooting at a blaze on a tree or stump in period dress while trekking with friends.

roundball said:
Otherwise, 99% of the time I like action/reaction type targets

... and me!

Seeing the 1000 yard target 'react', the markers pulling it down behind the mantle to score, and return with a V-Bull marked is immensely satisfying! :grin: :thumbsup:

David

Long Range Muzzle Loader - www.lrml.org

Swampman like you,I like period dress and stump shooting.then it`s always a woodswalk
cut finger

The target that got me this weekend was a 18 inch steel ring 2 inches wide off hand at 40 yards. I missed it two out of three shots. Was perfect up to that point.

Reactives! Steel gongs, water filled bottles/cans (my own little form of pre-recycling!) clay pigeons, charcoal briquets... anything that reacts when hit. 2' sheetrock squares at 200-300 yards - you can see the group size later, but instantly know if you hit or missed from the puff of white powder. You pick a size of target and a range that is challenging, and after that it's hit or miss - no in-between. Kinda like hunting, but no closed season! :grin:

I'll admit though, that paper is good first... otherwise you may never get sighted in, and then the targets aren't very "reactive"... :rotf:

M

Clay piegons at 100 yards ... as others stated .. instant hit or miss reaction. I like the idea about the sheetrock.

which ever is convenient at the particuler time that I'm shooting. It's all great. If I had to choose one it would be the running target shoot.
Bob

I agree Paper is good for sighting in and after that I like most anything especially gongs on a woodswalk.

Like this...and we use 2- 50's and my .45..it was done in about 12 shots..I fired 4 for 4. Think th eother fellas had no less than 3 hits each. Gene,fella in the center had the killing shot. :blah:
A T=bone is really tasty hot off the grill in the winter!
Stake%20shoot%20elbridge%20feb%2006.jpg

I like it all. I shoot paper but also go for the primative events and sillouete shooting.

I really used to like stake shoots. I used to use a .58 with half loads. It would blow big chunks out of the board rather than punch a hole through. One of the more insidious contests was a large pinecone tied at each end between two stakes. The pinecone have to be cut in the middle using two man teams. It took a lot of shots beause the pinecone would jump out of the way each time it was hit. You had to blow away the outside to get to the middle spine. Kind of hard to explain but it was a lot of fun.

Ball splitting, card cutting, charcoal briquettes or anything else you can make a shooting contest out of is fun for me.

At what distance did (or do) you shoot the stake and pine cone shoots? Just starting and am curious. Oops missed that 25 and 50 in the first post. Sorry

Back