• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is your next project going to be?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
For those of you who are amateur builders, what is your next "dream" project that you are planning to do in the future?

I am collecting parts to build a Kentucky pistol from a blank just to get some experience. However, I really would like to build a Jacob Dickert rifle sometime in the future when I can afford it.

Does the fact that I'm already planning two projects down the road mean that I have the disease? :haha:

I am finishing up an american fowler kit from tip curtis, and, I am allso thinking of my next project. I am seriously thinking about a poor boy kit from jack garner. flinch

A New England Fowler from Chambers, a Trade Gun from TOW, a Mark Silvers Virginia from Chambers, and then I'll have a go at doing an early colonial rifle from scratch myself. But I might change my mind on the way. Or suddenly need to devote my evenings to making money instead of spending it ...

As you gain experience, you do more for yourself, and buy less ready made parts. I'm working on a Lehigh rifle now, and have an early transitional and a plains rifle waiting in the wings.

My current project is putting together another Underhammer in .62 Cal. smoothbore. :hatsoff:

I like that hand granade launcher or maybe a blunderbuss....hmmmmm I think I have a hankering for a big bore!

Just finished up a Bedford and I'm ready to start a Vincent Ohio Rifle.

I have a bucks pre-carve stock cherry stock in my vice that is going to have .45 Getz A weight inletted in it. It's going to have Chambers delux large siler lock I am going to do some simple carving and maybe engraving on the patch box.

I wanted to kill a spring gobbler with my .20ga. smooth bore and since I did that last wk. I been thinking about a serious 16ga. gobbler gun. Either that or a Lehigh .40cal. Which ever one I do first, it will be from a blank. Right now I got 3 more wks of gobbler season and then back to my Berk's, Reading Co., Henry Mauger .58cal.
I can't do two things at once and tomorrow I'm headin back to the woods for about a wk. or so with my ole veteran .62 smoothie.

I too am thinking about a 12 ga Turkey shooting smoothbore. A Chambers New England Colonial Fowler or a Caywood English Fowler. Or something simular! :hmm:

I'm putting a steel roof on a section of the barn that measures 20'X30'. I'm not nearly as excited about it as you guys are about your upcoming projects. :winking:

A York-style ong rifle, that I have figured out mostly in my head, but that probably doesn't really fit any specific description, and flintlock half-stock hawken from Don Stith. And a pair of English dueling pistols.

Mike,
You're a crazy man as far as I'm concerned... the wife has decided that what my daughter needs is a play house. So instead of a plastic throw-away type, I have to custom build a mansion for my daughter and her dolls... the good Lord help me.

houe.jpg

I have to pull permits from the county and had to hire a utility company to come out and survey before I dig.

If I ever finish my Gemmer Hawken (successfully), I'm thinking about either a lightweight .32 cal backaction half-stock or a box action heaveier barrel target gun, scoped, with an exotic hardwood stock.

Clay

Am working on a sxs flint right now. Should be done sometime next winter. Then I have two projects in mind. 1 - my wife wants a pistol. I have it mostly planned out but need to find a suitable Twist barrel. 2 - an english half stock flintlock with interchangeable damascus, oct to round barrels, ( or perhaps 8 sided to 16 sided to round, wil cross that bridge when I come to it) one in .62 rifle, the other in 16 g smooth, cased in walnut with all the accessories. I'm pretty excited about that project. Should take about two years. Still have a nice curly maple blank, 44", .50 cal getz swamped barrel, and chambers delux siler to cobble into something but no definite plans for it yet.

Cody

That's a beaut, Slowpoke. That's what I should be doing for my daughter, not building guns. Good to know you're as regulated down there as we are up here. We recently had to get the county surveyor in and he saw a shelter I'd built over a woodpile by our barn, and insisted that I should have got planning permission for it. I'n now on the county blacklist. Meanwhile, two farms down a field is being turned into a gravel pit, but that's different because the county makes money out of it. Bad language excised at this point too.

My next project is going to be a 2 in 1. I'm going to make a copy of my 1800 to 1810 period Peter Gonter for my son and a very early Jacob Dickert for myself using my last hand forged barrel from ym apprenticeship days. I've been saving it for something special and I better get it done before they put me in the ground.

Regards, Dave

Back