• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to run the tomahawk range at a scout outing , we had a Big time . The scouts were great ,we cheered everyone on . Everyone threw until they could stick the knife ad hawk , included the parents , pictures were taken , it was a successful day .

I had multiple hawks and knives so no one including me seemed to get bored , the knives I made held up great , I was happy with that also .

I got to do this last year but did the shooting side of it , Tomahawk range was way better , we kept things rolling , some of the kids probably threw 200 times bet their arms are sore , 😁
Good for you!!! Volunteering sure feels great doesn't it? I hope you've inspired a whole bunch of kids to want to give back; thank you for doing that with a black powder/muzzle loader twist.

Took the Chambers out and shot some of my home cast .600 round balls.
2AD1ECFF-60AD-451D-9244-B5CE8C88D67F.jpeg

Spent the afternoon running some balls through my Jack Garner rifle I bought on the forum last Dec.
Mr. Jack has Conner Garrett helping him out between college classes. Conner built this one. She does have a few worm holes but really pretty wood.
The best part is she sure is comfortable to shoot. A bowlful of balls and a pound and half of powder. Good times.

Attachments

• IMG_3696[1].JPG
    IMG_3696[1].JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back at my camp and brought the new flints that came in. I’ve shown my Flint storage box before but it’s never been this full. I’ve got a fair number of all the different sizes I use now. Ought to be good for quite some time.
I tote my necessities around in a "flint wallet" with the reserves being kept at home in the safe.

Spent the afternoon running some balls through my Jack Garner rifle I bought on the forum last Dec.
Mr. Jack has Conner Garrett helping him out between college classes. Conner built this one. She does have a few worm holes but really pretty wood.
The best part is she sure is comfortable to shoot. A bowlful of balls and a pound and half of powder. Good times.
I glad things worked out for you..👍

made a couple ram/range rods from aluminum 3/8 rod. blackened said rods.
took one rod and tapped it for a 1/4x20 large head furniture bolt. turned head down to .501 and put it with a thin patch 1.5 inches down the bore of my New Englander 50. the bore on it is so rough it turns patches into threads when fired.
poured some pewter down the bore to make a polishing slug.
spent 3 hours on the bore with valve grinding paste. and sweat, lots of sweat!
got the bright idea to mechanize the program. 2 broken rods later.
back to sweating.
also captured the wedge on a Hawken. hate wasting time looking for the things after i lay them down where i will know they are and they scurry off somewhere all by themselves.

Me and Ma did wee bit of punching paper,I set Chrono up so she could see FPS out of her rifle,it really helped her understand being consistent with her loading procedure,after first few shots with large variance between shots she was keeping them between 1430 and 1475 fps most within 15 fps one way or other of 1445 and once her loading got more consistent her groups shrank to right around 2" at 25 yards.
Once she was shooting consistently,we headed over to my 120 to try to find a deer,where I set up her blind longest shot be 30 yards so she's good 👍.
We didn't see any deer but we did hear a couple snorting,I'd guess the Rut is beginning,
From a little scouting I know there is at least 2 good bucks,a small forkhorn,2 does one with a fawn still with her,just gotta be in blind at right time,the 2 good bucks still staying in beanfield,and cornfield be out of range without more practice.

Back