• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some shooting with the .50 Cherry WR this afternoon, should have started earlier but was lazy. Before going to the range I filed down the rear sight notch from .264” to .220” above the flat. Again, these are arbitrary numbers, but the other rifles were shooting high. Using the dial caliper gives me a reference. Started with 50 grains of Swiss 3F at 25 yards and it was pretty much point of aim. Once I made my windage adjustments I staked both sights. Then I thought why not try some Goex 3F, which I did, but after 5 or 6 shots it fouled up pretty good. So I swabbed it out and switched back to Swiss at 60 grains. By the time I started shooting at 50 yards the sun was low enough to blanket out my front sight so after a few shots I called it a day. Must have done a better polishing job on this one because the trigger pull was noticeably lighter than the .54 WR. Lots more experimenting to do, but I got a dirty rifle to clean now.

Attachments

• IMG_2891.jpeg
    IMG_2891.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2892.jpeg
    IMG_2892.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2893.jpeg
    IMG_2893.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2895.jpeg
    IMG_2895.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2897.jpeg
    IMG_2897.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Had a side of buffalo hide laying around so I started making a sheath for my .54 half stock rifle. Cut and glued the seams and tomorrow will double stitch it and turn it inside out and cut the fringe.

View attachment 265524

Finished case today - hardest part was turning it back right side out :ghostly: Nice fit for the fine halfstock .54 I bought from @BigSkyRambler!

IMG_1588.jpeg

IMG_1586.jpeg

Finally got it all together for my flint workstation and started banging on some rocks. The right tools make a big difference.
I wouldn't exactly call what I ended up with "Rifle Flints,"... They're more like rocks that'll fit in the lock and make the gun go bang a time or two.
But it's a start!

Flint Anvil.jpg

Got to thinking about needing to dust and check the long guns on the round rack for any signs of rust and dust them off. All were good and I really need to make some smoke with at least a couple. However the leaves on the decks took precedence so I dug out the leaf blower and cleaned the leaves off which were about a foot deep. I haven't shot the Mowry in a coons age, maybe tomorrow after we go and visit my MIL at her assisted living facility, shes 94 and doing well.
stand2 002.jpg

Finished case today - hardest part was turning it back right side out :ghostly: Nice fit for the fine halfstock .54 I bought from @BigSkyRambler!

View attachment 265889
View attachment 265895
Gary, next time lay a cord on the pattern before you fold it. leave enough sticking out the nose that you can tie a big knot. after the glue is set anchor the loose end or get someone to hold it tight as you roll the case right side out. really works slick.
the part with the not will leave a breathing hole when the cord is removed.

Gary, next time lay a cord on the pattern before you fold it. leave enough sticking out the nose that you can tie a big knot. after the glue is set anchor the loose end or get someone to hold it tight as you roll the case right side out. really works slick. the part with the not will leave a breathing hole when the cord is removed.

Gary, next time lay a cord on the pattern before you fold it. leave enough sticking out the nose that you can tie a big knot. after the glue is set anchor the loose end or get someone to hold it tight as you roll the case right side out. really works slick.
the part with the not will leave a breathing hole when the cord is removed.
That’s a great idea! After thinking about this, I figure I can tie a stout cord to the loop that I put at the nose to hang the case for storage. Run the cord back to the butt end and after stitching the case start pulling the nose loop with the cord. I think it should work and I will report back after I try it on my next case. Thanks for the idea deerstalkert!

Putting together a "Franken 50" investarms stock and furniture and a tc Hawken 50 barrel. Some filing on the barrel lug and a bit on the tang flats and it will be a fit. The tc barrel is just a hair smaller than the investarms tang. Luckily it's not the other way around!!

Might need to file a 1/16" or so off the under rib.

It'll be a Christmas gift for one of the grandsons.

20231103_184220_copy_800x600_copy_800x600.jpg
20231103_184328_copy_4032x3024_copy_800x600_copy_800x600.jpg

That’s a great idea! After thinking about this, I figure I can tie a stout cord to the loop that I put at the nose to hang the case for storage. Run the cord back to the butt end and after stitching the case start pulling the nose loop with the cord. I think it should work and I will report back after I try it on my next case. Thanks for the idea deerstalkert!
thanks goes to that brilliant wife of mine.
I was trying to turn mine and she took exception to the words i was using to coax the miserable........ she snipped a stich and poked the cord through with a RR.
yeah, i thanked her. and stole the idea as mine!:ghostly:

Throw my hawks and knifes at least a couple times just about every day. I'm walking right past it any way.

I put up a big round of firewood hanging from the swing set to use for a target back stop, with the berm behind it. Should make a pretty dandy bullet catcher.

Lordy. What a good breeze will do to a roundball down range! The wind got up early this morning just as I chose to attempt a 100-metre group with the 54. No target pictures, sorry lads, but I would have needed my wide-angle lens! True! At first, I thought I had knocked the sights, failed to clean the rifle properly etc, but bringing the target back to 50 metres proved all was OK. It was just the wind playing havoc. It was gusting at 20 to 30 kph changing from Ne to E to SE, stronger at the 100 line than at 25; those balls were taking quite the journey. I'll have to wait for a quiet day before I can produce my inner Idaho Lewis. :)😃😂

Cheers, Pete

Lordy. What a good breeze will do to a roundball down range! The wind got up early this morning just as I chose to attempt a 100-metre group with the 54. No target pictures, sorry lads, but I would have needed my wide-angle lens! True! At first, I thought I had knocked the sights, failed to clean the rifle properly etc, but bringing the target back to 50 metres proved all was OK. It was just the wind playing havoc. It was gusting at 20 to 30 kph changing from Ne to E to SE, stronger at the 100 line than at 25; those balls were taking quite the journey. I'll have to wait for a quiet day before I can produce my inner Idaho Lewis. :)😃😂

Cheers, Pete
I found my .40 would drift about a foot with just a 10-15mph wind at my 150 yard target, so I feel your pain!

IMG_4509.jpeg

The two holes on the left side…

Back