• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just piddling projects today. I picked up a small hammer for $2 and a rough horn for $12 at an antique store yesterday. I wanted a small hammer to keep in my shooting box for drifting sights, this had one of the ears broken off so I cut off the other one and shortened the handle. Should do the trick. Now the horn is rough, but I trimmed it and started scraping it down. Still a ways to go.

Attachments

• IMG_2946.jpeg
    IMG_2946.jpeg
    1.9 MB
  • IMG_2945.jpeg
    IMG_2945.jpeg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_2949.jpeg
    IMG_2949.jpeg
    1.6 MB
put another coat on Darwin.
then i girded my loins, and sallied forth and slew the dragon. spent all morning cleaning up my work benches. still have about 4 layers of dragons on one of them. it was rewarding though. i found a siler lock i forgot i had!!!
starting another build this afternoon. cherry half stock.
by this time tomorrow the dragons will be back on all the bench tops. did i ever tell you guys that i am a slob!?

Last edited:
Today I fired two blanks from the long Fowler I am working on- the ignition was fast and I am really happy this lock selection. And with the modifications I made, it works well on the piece and looks neat.
I had several hours later to work on the stock. The lock panels and butt are needing a lot of love and attention 🫶

Oh, by the way, I think this stock may be Curly Cherry, not Curly Maple 😊

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    179 KB
Last edited:
finished (98%) Darwin, the flintlock i have been building from a plank and parts from the everything drawer that reached a not one more part condition.
i call this a 12 foot rifle. from 12 feet it looks great!
customer wanted a patina that looked like it had lived over a smokey fireplace for 100 years. don't know if i got it but the buyer loves it. go figure.
fire blued the screws, trigger guard, trigger and chemical blued the lock parts. poured nose cap. Single set trigger.
Doc Haddaway lock i stole from a pistol i built and don't shoot. 54 green mountain barrel with slant breach. Never do another with the slant breach.
Stock was a birch plank cut off my property 10 years ago.
giving it another coat of true oil tonight and some touch up on chip repair that didn't stain.
anyway another one is born.
I like it a lot. One of kind!

Chose to change the sights on my Renegade with GM barrels to a light bench gun. Had the Lyman peep sight and one covered front sight for the 50 cal barrel. Decided to order an additional front sight for the 40 cal. And went on the Lyman site to do just that. Website shows sight in stock, so I ordered it. 11 days go by, no confirmation of shipment so I call. Website incorrect, excuse, they changed servers. Trying to get product shipped by years end. Cancelled order and requested refund. Went on MidwayUSA to check availability, wow, almost every Lyman sight front or rear showed no inventory, backorder not OK. Frustrating, if Lyman isn’t not going out of business I have to wonder what their business model is.

Today I fired two blanks from the long Fowler I am working on- the ignition was fast and I am really happy this lock selection. And with the modifications I made, it works well on the piece and looks neat.
I had several hours later to work on the stock. The lock panels and butt are needing a lot of love and attention 🫶

Oh, by the way, I think this stock may be Curly Cherry, not Curly Maple 😊
That is going to be one nice gun!

Was out shooting my only Percussion rifle, an investarms cabelas sporter in .54 I found, and was having some issues with some CCI caps I bought. Have heard of issues on here from others and I found about a 20% failure rate, at least in the can I'm shooting. Stopped last night at my local ML shop and he just got in some Remington #11's. Bought a couple of tins so hoping they do much better.

I went to the range with my Uberti Colt .36. Setup target at 40 yards. Put multiple rounds thru the red center and head shots while all the modern semi automatic guys stared in amazement. One guy said his new 9mm cant do that at that distance. I was struttin like a banty rooster, oh ya my pistol is amazing! Good times. Had fun.

I went to the range with my Inerti Colt .36. Setup target at 40 yards. Put multiple rounds thru the red center and head shots while all the modern semi automatic guys stared in amazement. One guy said his new 9mm cant do that at that distance. I was struttin like a banty rooster, oh ya my pistol is amazing! Good times. Had fun.

I love it when that happens! 😄👍

Back