• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot my Frontier flintlock early this morning, good time to get ahead of the heat of the day. Supposed to cool down next week and maybe rain. Got a few shots off, rang some steel. Shooting 3F Goex.

imageedit_2_5356068925.jpg

I've been cleaning and spiffing up a neglected Jap Bess from the Bi-Cen era; it had been cut short for a "Light Company" and needs a lot of cleaning, stock work & refinishing, but has a great, 50 y/o patina on many parts that can't be faked. It had been ridden hard & put away wet, but I got if for only $125 from the original owner. Same as the one I had and let go at one point, and the lock sparks nicely. You want to not "over-clean" something, it should show it's age and experience, not be shined up like a new penny.

Browning solution finally stopped doing its thing. Rubbed it with a piece of drill cloth for a while last night before putting some wax over it all.

I was going for a worn brown and didn't want it to look like a factory perfect finish. I'll have to do something about the bright steel on the sear spring screw but that's for another day. It was my second browning job ever and my first using a solution like this (previous one was Plum Brown). Overall I'm happy with it and thankful that it's over 😆
1000010163.jpg
1000010164.jpg

Browning solution finally stopped doing its thing. Rubbed it with a piece of drill cloth for a while last night before putting some wax over it all.

I was going for a worn brown and didn't want it to look like a factory perfect finish. I'll have to do something about the bright steel on the sear spring screw but that's for another day. It was my second browning job ever and my first using a solution like this (previous one was Plum Brown). Overall I'm happy with it and thankful that it's over 😆
View attachment 338853View attachment 338854
Beautiful job on the rifle!

My parts came in from Track yesterday so I did a little work on the Investarm Hawken. I dot the nose cap fit and added a filler piece of walnut in the factory dado prior to fitting and installing the entry pipe. It’s fit to clear the ramrod and set just below the barrel. Then I went onto the the toe plate. I got it inlet and fit to the but plate.

Attachments

• DAF6AD78-D209-4FD1-B9F0-E1EA4296204A.jpeg
    DAF6AD78-D209-4FD1-B9F0-E1EA4296204A.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 43847A91-0057-4087-8238-46FFBA73EBB1.jpeg
    43847A91-0057-4087-8238-46FFBA73EBB1.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 246A9C53-30DC-4E2D-934A-C7828D57F115.jpeg
    246A9C53-30DC-4E2D-934A-C7828D57F115.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1D221EDA-4B13-40FE-9361-0F0573496695.jpeg
    1D221EDA-4B13-40FE-9361-0F0573496695.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 8052D7B4-C5AC-410B-BDEB-38DF47CAF1AA.jpeg
    8052D7B4-C5AC-410B-BDEB-38DF47CAF1AA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I've been cleaning and spiffing up a neglected Jap Bess from the Bi-Cen era; it had been cut short for a "Light Company" and needs a lot of cleaning, stock work & refinishing, but has a great, 50 y/o patina on many parts that can't be faked. It had been ridden hard & put away wet, but I got if for only $125 from the original owner. Same as the one I had and let go at one point, and the lock sparks nicely. You want to not "over-clean" something, it should show it's age and experience, not be shined up like a new penny.
Wish I hadn't sold mine.
I used it during the Bicentennial, it didn't seem to be right for F&I reenacting. It shot live ball accurately as well. I bartered to have a British long land pattern made for me instead.

Yesterday was the first day of the shoot started the day with a busted L&R rpl flint lock on my renagade this is the third time this lock has gone to hell it has been returned to L&R twice at my expense and now it’s broken again!!!!!!!!! So that started a really crapshoot day. Finally on the last target of the day I had a acceptable target and it wasn’t even a close to place. But I was on the green side of the dirt so that beats the alternative

Went shooting over the weekend. Shot my long rifle for the first time. It took a long time because I had to make balls and powder and acquire all the equipment to do so. With the other guns I only got two shots with the flint lock. It was awful hot on the prairie miles from nowhere with no shade but it all worked. First shot was high but the second was 2 inches from the mark. I'm sure I could do better in better weather.

I also shot my TC Hawken with home made powder. I'm happy with the results. Hopefully it will get a little cooler later in the month.

Back