• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
😅ya not sure about using that. I know the older products were great and started alot of combustion rag fires.
Now you have me running to check my trash can! 🤣

For the benefit of our members in general, @Century to late has lived a professional career in the paint and finish industry and when he speaks, I listen.

Finished my first leather shot pouch (made a crude one from braintan buckskin years ago) last night, but put the charger on it and put the "makings" (ball, tow, worm, tin of tallow and leather wads) in it this morning. Small, 18th century style pouch, about 6.5" square, with an old bridle throatlatch from my riding days repurposed for a strap. Gonna replace the rivet in the strap with linen or hemp thread at something, but it's all functional now!

Attachments

• 20240808_102058.jpg
    20240808_102058.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240808_102112.jpg
    20240808_102112.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240808_102044.jpg
    20240808_102044.jpg
    825.5 KB · Views: 0
Second Thursday of the month, so its range day. Parish police department opens the range to civilians the first two Thursdays each month. Next time is in September. I shot pistols today and now it clean up time.

Attachments

• 20240808_081744.jpg
    20240808_081744.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240808_104953.jpg
    20240808_104953.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
shot my SMR .45 today over a chronograph at my 100 yard gong.
50g fffg Swiss and a .020 patch, hammer started. velocity average of 1680fps. patches recovered bore diameter solid with fringe to edges.
10 shots and 7 hits on the 100 yard gong. gong 8" x 10". group was 3.5".
now i know just about everything about this SMR, I think i will build a couple more. just a joy to shoot.
reminds me, i need to go clean it.

No not impressed with L&R locks , such a pity I’ll stick with original 1810 east India Bess locks £250 if you can find them Been looking 18 months Ok they are a bit big but lovely , making / rebuilding , another baker/ jager ???? look alike, Old original stock full of worm holes , really unhappy with the L&R lock but no Bess locks around I made the Bess lock one in 1972. But making another now, going to upgrade to baker cast trigger guards £38 each I am always buying relics to do up , drives the wife max .

L&R locks. Been a bid down with them. I have a flint made in 1840 and it’s as good as new and no trouble. However worked on the L&R lock with fine grind stone and fitted a 1885 shotgun main spring off a pile of locks I have. Well at last not bad. Slow motion clip too big to add

No not impressed with L&R locks , such a pity I’ll stick with original 1810 east India Bess locks £250 if you can find them Been looking 18 months Ok they are a bit big but lovely , making / rebuilding , another baker/ jager ???? look alike, Old original stock full of worm holes , really unhappy with the L&R lock but no Bess locks around I made the Bess lock one in 1972. But making another now, going to upgrade to baker cast trigger guards £38 each I am always buying relics to do up , drives the wife max .

Lost what I wrote. Ha ha. Anyway worked on my L&R lock with a fine stone. Then sorted through my collection of 1880 main spring till I got it right So not bad nice and quick. I tried it in slow motion but slow clip too big a file A happy man now

Attachments

• IMG_3554.MOV
    9.2 MB

Attachments

• IMG_3554.MOV
    9.2 MB
Went to the CLA show in Lexington today! Talked with a lot of great artisans! Got the meat PathfinderNC in person! He has some beautiful horns! Had a great time talking with him! Thanks for letting my boys handle the flint locks on your table!
In anticipation of hunting with a
Chambers PA Fowler I came home with a powder horn! Not as beautiful as PathfinderNC horns but within my means!! The green strap is one of my boys got me for my birthday!

Attachments

• IMG_7072.jpeg
    IMG_7072.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7071.jpeg
    IMG_7071.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
We burnt some black powder today but it doesn't count out of buffalo guns. The muzzleloading was supported by another trip to the mail box. An order from Muzzleloader Magazine arrived. "Getting the Lead Out" a book by Karl Z.Smith I read about here was on sale for 1/2 price. Snagged a copy and also one of "Foods of the American West" by Mike Moore.

Finished up my first finger woven powder horn strap. It's thin, only about 3/8" wide, but I like it better than using a leather string. I had some hemp cordage from Walmart that I wasn't using and found a video on YouTube that helped me do a very basic weave. Plenty of mistakes made, but a fun project for spare moments over the past week or so. Now that I've proven to myself I can weave something, I intend to do some more research of primary documentation and might work on making a historically based strap for a pouch or horn.

Attachments

• 20240810_225235.jpg
    20240810_225235.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back