• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a stinking cold not well at all. That’s why I don’t use my big cold Worksop in winter so I use the old cycle shed off the kitchen but it so crammed to work in . Every thing falling off the shelf etc. it was ok till I got the two engravers a few months back, but have forced myself to do some brass work today on my .625 rifle getting there I do a lot in my chair by window really annoys the wife , she hates guns and hunting , but won’t give up supermarket meat , married her in 1968 , she wanted to change me,” you haven’t changed since the day I met you !!!!”
What was on the box is what she got, tough. 😀😀😀😀😀

Attachments

• 650D8A1A-D46B-4BCD-A5F5-50E63A17CEB4.jpeg
    650D8A1A-D46B-4BCD-A5F5-50E63A17CEB4.jpeg
    1.8 MB
  • 5AB74A47-AA29-4CA5-9898-708DEE8948BC.jpeg
    5AB74A47-AA29-4CA5-9898-708DEE8948BC.jpeg
    1.9 MB
  • 08E8501F-24E8-4EE4-BD64-FE02C8004AEF.jpeg
    08E8501F-24E8-4EE4-BD64-FE02C8004AEF.jpeg
    1.3 MB
  • FC72A066-8B6E-4FDF-BB59-12389193B80F.jpeg
    FC72A066-8B6E-4FDF-BB59-12389193B80F.jpeg
    1.2 MB
  • B55FFFB3-F3A9-4DDB-91E1-45FB6EF4007D.jpeg
    B55FFFB3-F3A9-4DDB-91E1-45FB6EF4007D.jpeg
    1.1 MB
  • F3CE144B-CC48-4CD1-A91F-61DE6E1CE028.jpeg
    F3CE144B-CC48-4CD1-A91F-61DE6E1CE028.jpeg
    1.5 MB
  • 6D08E94A-DC96-468C-BCCA-42C25663ED3B.jpeg
    6D08E94A-DC96-468C-BCCA-42C25663ED3B.jpeg
    1.5 MB
  • C87CF253-7FF4-4940-ADB1-C61ABCB2966D.jpeg
    C87CF253-7FF4-4940-ADB1-C61ABCB2966D.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • 3FF6EC90-55BF-4102-9C2B-36FCDEF31752.jpeg
    3FF6EC90-55BF-4102-9C2B-36FCDEF31752.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • 16BD2111-A480-4FE7-ABDE-C24C81DCB111.jpeg
    16BD2111-A480-4FE7-ABDE-C24C81DCB111.jpeg
    1.5 MB
I have a stinking cold not well at all. That’s why I don’t use my big cold Worksop in winter so I use the old cycle shed off the kitchen but it so crammed to work in . Every thing falling off the shelf etc. it was ok till I got the two engravers a few months back, but have forced myself to do some brass work today on my .625 rifle getting there I do a lot in my chair by window really annoys the wife , she hates guns and hunting , but won’t give up supermarket meat , married her in 1968 , she wanted to change me,” you haven’t changed since the day I met you !!!!”
What was on the box is what she got, tough. 😀😀😀😀😀
A neat shop is the sign of a sick mind!
Obviously, your mind is quite healthy!
Looks like my garage! :oops:

A neat shop is the sign of a sick mind!
Obviously, your mind is quite healthy!
Looks like my garage! :oops:
What a nice compliment, thank you so much. I always work in a mess it gives me inspirations, far better than education . I cleared up every few years even if it does not need it. I meant to say I wanted to fit the little elephant to the stock.

Love from across the pond west of London

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB
Had a blizzard yesterday and into today, so I had a little snow to wade through. Last time I cleaned Yellow Bird, I noticed the windage screw on her Remington rear sight assembly was loose. I centered it as best I could remember and tightened it down. Pretty soon it's gonna be time to get the blue LocTite out. Charge was 15 grains of 3f Old Eynsford under 20 grains of T7 2f granulation. Projectile was a 200 grain .45 caliber XTP seated in a "wooden shoe" (wink wink, nudge nudge). Target was a gallon jug with blue colored water in it at 25 - 30 yards (didn't feel up to wading through the snow drifts out to the fifty yard position). Target sploded nicely and pretty much disappeared in the snow.

Took Frankenstuffer out for a test run. Never shot a muzzleloader that didn't have a crescent butt plate. What an absolute joy to shoot one with a modern butt stock. No shoulder pain from being impaled with pointed brass while sitting at a bench. I will be building more Frankenstuffers.

It was a success as I'm here typing and not dead. Came home with all ten digits too. Wore a heavy leather glove and hid behind a large cooler for the first shot.

The barrel/stock mounts failed on the first shot. But was expected. Zip tied everything together and took two more shots. 60 grains of FFF T7 and a .600 ball in a 16ga plastic wad. Beautimus.

For those who have an interest in building their own smoothbore barrel from scratch, 4130 really shines.

Last edited:
Still working on my shooting bag. Converted a bag I had into what I want. Two feathers made me some of the stuff on here the loading blocks are black walnut. Pretty much waiting for the wolf skin to come in to put the face on the front and should be done. Not sure if I will keep the fringe on bottom...

Love the location of the 'hawk! You have all the stuff I have on my shooter's necklace on your forward bag strap... which makes a certain amount of sense. I have belt knife there and sometimes the necklace gets tangled on the knife hilt. This bag generally works well enough, though I am thinking about ordering some deer hide and making a new one that has a bit more room inside. I like the smoothbore bag that Duelist1954 on YouTube has with two separate gussets, but I would maybe like three gussets so the necklace can have it's own separate area. Don't like pulling it out and finding a Swiss Army Knife or compass tangled up in the necklace... but I like the necklace as I can just drop the measure, capper or short starter when I am done with it. Kinda thinking about a short tether for my horn stopper as well. Picture below, sorry I'm not better looking ;)
Made a front sight of 1800's coin silver for my Queen Ann pistol. Thought it was just a lark and something to do until I shot it.
Significant improvement hitting my steel View attachment 2009193/4 targets at 25 paces.View attachment 200917
Which brand Queen Anne is it? I've been lookin' at the Pedersoli one and drooling a bit. Gotta be careful using coin silver... so I am certain you were using foreign coin silver so you can cut it up without legal issues. I've got a sight I made for my shortened 1860 Army replica out of the corner of a 1 ounce silver "art bar". I glued it on with JB Weld, which as so far held up well, but I did a kind of messy job gluing it down. How did you fasten yours?
mewithpossbag.jpg

😆 That's what they look like before you add the powder charge and fold them over.
Took the Brown Bess out to shoot for first time today. Now I wish I had made more than a dozen cartridges yesterday. I charged them with 70 grains of FFFG. They shot great at 25 yards, not so well at 50. When the cartridges ran I I switched to .715 RB with .020 patch and 90 grains of FFG. Those shot pretty well at 50 (POA ~8" above POI). I'll get back out an experiment more with it, but this gun is a lot of fun to shoot.
IMG_20230223_090913093.jpg
IMG_20230223_093239665.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230223_090906604.jpg
    IMG_20230223_090906604.jpg
    2.9 MB
Nice! I gotta get a cartridge box for mine.

Nice shootin'.
I almost took mine out today. I need to shoot it off the bench and see where it's actually hitting instead of just slinging lead at a man size target.

I had to modify my cartridge box. This is the second one I ordered, this time from a sutlery guy in the US, and the holes were still too small for an easy fit.

Took Frankenstuffer out for a test run. Never shot a muzzleloader that didn't have a crescent butt plate. What an absolute joy to shoot one with a modern butt stock. No shoulder pain from being impaled with pointed brass while sitting at a bench. I will be building more Frankenstuffers.

It was a success as I'm here typing and not dead. Came home with all ten digits too. Wore a heavy leather glove and hid behind a large cooler for the first shot.

The barrel/stock mounts failed on the first shot. But was expected. Zip tied everything together and took two more shots. 60 grains of FFF T7 and a .600 ball in a 16ga plastic wad. Beautimus.
Videos maybe? Please? I've got a gun I am thinking about a pistol grip for, bus still would have the crescent butt plate. Got an old T/C Contender grip I made probably forty years ago that has a palm shelf. Gonna go see if I can find it up in the attic now.

Didn't find the grip, did find a CD that I've been looking for, an Old Hickory knife and my old recorder that I haven't played in years.

Did a fair rendition of Christina Aguilera's "Loyal Brave and True"... which was the best thing about Disney's more recent Mulan movie. Not bad considering I had no sheet music and would have needed a fingering chart to actually make use of the sheet music if I did have it.

Sorry, sometimes I ramble...

Last edited:
Videos maybe? Please? I've got a gun I am thinking about a pistol grip for, bus still would have the crescent butt plate. Got an old T/C Contender grip I made probably forty years ago that has a palm shelf. Gonna go see if I can find it up in the attic now.

Didn't find the grip, did find a CD that I've been looking for, an Old Hickory knife and my old recorder that I haven't played in years.

Did a fair rendition of Christina Aguilera's "Loyal Brave and True"... which was the best thing about Disney's more recent Mulan movie. Not bad considering I had no sheet music and would have needed a fingering chart to actually make use of the sheet music if I did have it.

Sorry, sometimes I ramble...
I'm sorry. No video.

Build that pistol grip addition. They work wonders for people with hand/wrist problems.

Back