• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It never occured to me to use a jig. Is that something you made or can it be purchased?
Most black powder suppliers have them. The jig has been hardened and shows no sign of wear after lots of use. It's never let me down ever.

It never occured to me to use a jig. Is that something you made or can it be purchased?

I purchased mine from a fellow on the ALR website, it’s exactly like the one shown above. Mine has been hardened so much that I use caution when pre cutting the slots with a hacksaw. Won’t leave a mark on the jig, hard on the blade.
Thanks. I'll either check there or with the ML supply shops. Gonna be a big help.

Got another one "hooked".......
Below is his own words:

"" I’m having a blast shooting a Kentucky Long Rifle on the farm.
Thanks to Mark Humphries for a good time.""

For brand new shooter..Dustin spanked that piggy target in the background 25 out of 30 attempts.

449201821_10228377095505754_2002927681220213402_n.jpg

Running late shipping the original manual and factory box for a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle I bought September 15, 1975 according to what I wrote in the manual (That doesn't sound right) for $417.00 (That sounds right - three years before we got married and expensive gun purchases went away.) Thanks to A/C being struck by lightning and rescheduling injections into my eyes, I am behind. Who else would save stuff like this for 48 years? No wonder we can't find things.

Running late shipping the original manual and factory box for a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle I bought September 15, 1975 according to what I wrote in the manual (That doesn't sound right) for $417.00 (That sounds right - three years before we got married and expensive gun purchases went away.) Thanks to A/C being struck by lightning and rescheduling injections into my eyes, I am behind. Who else would save stuff like this for 48 years? No wonder we can't find things.
I'm always the guy that throws the box away right off the bat. No matter what it is. And while I was doing gun shows a couple years ago there were guys selling old gun boxes and manuals for pretty good money. Made me wish I'd kept a bunch of those.

Got another one "hooked".......
Below is his own words:

"" I’m having a blast shooting a Kentucky Long Rifle on the farm.
Thanks to Mark Humphries for a good time.""

For brand new shooter..Dustin spanked that piggy target in the background 25 out of 30 attempts.

View attachment 330370
Hey Mark did you get your lock on your smoothbore fixed.

Backed up and punted today on the Southern Shot Bag. Didn't quite think through the execution of my assembly process of operation. Anyhow I had to make a new back panel and rethink my order of assembly.... I have a brand new plan now. I guess learning from ones mistakes is a lesson well learned!

Last edited:
I also learned today that vinagroon dyed leather will turn a carbon blade rusty pretty turn fast. I guess if it hasn't aged out long enough. Probably going to learn another lesson as all my leather is taking a bath in baking soda and water. Will see about that in a couple of hours.

I also learned today that vinagroon dyed leather will turn a carbon blade rusty pretty turn fast. I guess if it hasn't aged out long enough. Probably going to learn another lesson as all my leather is taking a bath in baking soda and water. Will see about that in a couple of hours.
I customize and sell hatchets online with leather sheaths that I make. I usually like for the leather to dry out for as long as possible after dying and I'm using regular store bought leather dye. I learned the hard way that, if you put a knife or hatchet in there too soon, it will rust like crazy super fast. Let it dry a few days and, if you want, oil it good with some neatsfoot oil inside and out. Then let it soak in and dry for a couple days and it will be fine. If you want the knife in it while it's curing just wrap a good and tight layer of plastic wrap on it and stick it in there while it dries and cures.

I did a bunch of little things. I resoldered this thimble onto a kid gun that I made many years ago. The gun was made from pieces parts. A used 45 barrel that I acquired somewhere. I cut it and recrowned it. The under rib was a left over piece. Drilled a couple holes in the barrel and used existing screw holes in the rib to rivet it with some pieces of soft nails. CVA lock. The wood had a barrel channel and ramrod hole. Guy I got it from for ten bucks said it was maple. When I just touched a cutoff piece with ferric nitrate it turned instantly as black as ebony. Not sure what it is.

The TG is junk. I'm going to replace it. Also going to reposition the trigger pin. Just too light for a kids gun.

Made a ramrod for a Frontier and cut it too short. The "save" was cutting a hair shorter for a perfect fit to a Renegade.

Yesterday I searched high and low for a rear sight that I knew was there somewhere. Today I was looking for another part and the sight fell on my foot 🤪

Done for the day. See what I can screw up tomorrow 🤣

Pictures.

20240627_123844_copy_600x800.jpg
20240627_123909_copy_600x800.jpg

Got the Carolina Gun to " roughed in shape " and even started refining it to finish dimensions but will be couple more days till its to finished ....then final sanding .... Got the sideplate inlet done , engraved it ... gettin there , kinda surprised its this far for this lazy hillbilly :) ....let's see if pics will go on here ....hmmmmm...... Ok , thats weird...it posted 4 frikken times ...I'll take em off here n a sec

Attachments

• IMG_20240627_154858.jpg
    IMG_20240627_154858.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 8750.jpeg
    8750.jpeg
    625.6 KB · Views: 0
Back