• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spent a couple of days out in the bush. I shot a young Chital stag, not big in antlers, but easily the largest bodied animal I have taken with the .54 and roundball. I'm guessing he went close to 90 kilograms, given he produced 60 kilograms of field dressed venison. The shot was taken in close at 20 metres, 85gns of FFG Wano, a .530 ball with square cut spit patch. He took the ball in the heart and lungs, not moving more than 5 metres from where he received the blow.

I would have liked to engage with Mr piggy and his friends too, but they were out of bounds, being in close situ to freshly mustered young cattle (weaners) who may have scattered in alarm at the shot.

Tomorrow, I'm spending some quiet time catching up with this forum's new entries :) 👍.

Cheers, Pete

c1.jpg
c2.jpg

yb4.jpg
YB1.jpg

Just spent a couple of days out in the bush. I shot a young Chital stag, not big in antlers, but easily the largest bodied animal I have taken with the .54 and roundball. I'm guessing he went close to 90 kilograms, given he produced 60 kilograms of field dressed venison. The shot was taken in close at 20 metres, 85gns of FFG Wano, a .530 ball with square cut spit patch. He took the ball in the heart and lungs, not moving more than 5 metres from where he received the blow.

I would have liked to engage with Mr piggy and his friends too, but they were out of bounds, being in close situ to freshly mustered young cattle (weaners) who may have scattered in alarm at the shot.

Tomorrow, I'm spending some quiet time catching up with this forum's new entries :) 👍.

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 330608View attachment 330609

View attachment 330611View attachment 330610
I don’t know much about chital deer but it’s antlers look pretty stout from here!! Thier are some really nice knife handles right thier!! Well done!!

Last edited:
fussed with the trigger/sear geometry all morning on the walnut Kentucky. ended up welding an extension to the trigger plate, thus moving the blade rearward to get a better angle with the trigger blade.
when i quit it was working well. my luck when i go back at it it won't work. next is making a spring for the trigger as there is some slop i don't like. got a call from Ohio with a I'll take it unseen offer.
hate that. puts pressure on me I don't care for. supposed to be retired. seems its just flat tired.

Set up tent and camp for the weekend rendezvous. Pouring rain for a while today.
Well I went to the range today and did some shooting and think I’m gonna use this load for hunting .Notice how the 7 1/2 shot went threw both sides of the soup cans .My short barreled guns are pretty good too about 23 yards max but these were at 20 yards .only problem was me needing to shoot more because believe it or not you can miss with a shotgun 🤷‍♂️🤪enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday, bought an older TC Seneca .36 probably never fired. Received a Joe Wood .45 coning tool, TC peep sight, and Lee press/.501 sizing die in the mail.

Today remove Williams FP Hawken target knob peep ans installed the TC peep on my TC Hawken. Waiting for the .45 to .50 fast twist barrel Bob Hoyt is doing. Should receive some lead, gib lock screw, and other items from Buffalo Arms today. Also should receive a Lyman 17A SF front sight today.

I was happily carving moldings along the Ram Rod channel of the walnut stocked Kentucky when Lurch (my wife's Brother, 6' 8", what else would he be called?) came stumbling in and asked me to teach him to draw file. then he produces the GM swamped barrel from his Kiblers woodsrunner.
at first glance it looked like just sanding would get it done. Then i hit it a lick with some 320 and the milling marks really stood out. the breech to muzzle pass was very smooth but the return pass was a little chattery. will draw file out quickly. showed the technique to Lurch and he thanked me, took the barrel out of the vice and left with the parting comment, "i don't do much after noon". never saw him do anything before noon so i guess he is consistent.
Went back to cutting Mouldings and fitting the nose cap. discovered my epoxy had jellied so i can't affix the cap.
I could go out and rough polish the butt plate and inlet it, or make a trigger, or prep the trigger guard, or inlet the RR thimbles, or clean up the barrel for browning, or take a nap.
maybe i will shoot my Colonial. haven't shot it since I finished it and proofed it. or take a nap.
PS. found some Acraglass so back to the nosecap. no rest for the wicked.
Nap!

Bought a Ruger Old Army from a friend who is thinning his collection. It’s an older model s/n 140-xxxx. Excellent condition and he included a holster, 1500 #11 caps, 1/2 lb Goex 2f, a Lee double cavity conical bullet mold, powder flask, and @200 conical bullets he cast for it. He wanted $300 for everything and I gave him $500 - he wouldn’t take any more.

Also picked up an old Hopkins and Allen under hammer pistol, a Century Arm .36 Sheriffs model and a .44 Flintlock pistol for $325.

(The unmentionable was from another deal and the Sheriffs revolver is in pieces now for a good cleaning)

It’s been a good day
.IMG_2090.jpeg

Bought a Ruger Old Army from a friend who is thinning his collection. It’s an older model s/n 140-xxxx. Excellent condition and he included a holster, 1500 #11 caps, 1/2 lb Goex 2f, a Lee double cavity conical bullet mold, powder flask, and @200 conical bullets he cast for it. He wanted $300 for everything and I gave him $500 - he wouldn’t take any more.

Also picked up an old Hopkins and Allen under hammer pistol, a Century Arm .36 Sheriffs model and a .44 Flintlock pistol for $325.

(The unmentionable was from another deal and the Sheriffs revolver is in pieces now for a good cleaning)

It’s been a good day
.View attachment 330865
Wow nice load.

Latest posts

Back