• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed it doesn’t come with the beadwork completed. Just the beads, needle and thread. Hope you know how!.
I kinda do, I have done some lazy stich work, not at all as good as some of our other forum members.I can do loom beading though. Suppose I’ll see when I get there, I may leave that part off…

Pony beads are easier and more authentic to the period before the WBTS
I may put some glass pony beads I have on the fringe. Although I must admit, even though it’s a shooting bag and that is what I would use if for, my brother is going to use it for is M.S meds and such, right now he is using a nylon printed lays potato chip bag 🙄, hoping he can use it at our upcoming pow wow.

If you like the beadwork don't leave it off. It just takes some time and remember, practice makes perfect.
Thanks, yeah I definitely need much practice, my biggest problem is not going deep enough into the leather when using the lazy stitch method, I beaded my Mocs once and it just came off the top, I need a lot of practice. That and I have glovers needles for big stuff, I have no clue what needles are needed for seed beads or where to buy them from.

I cringe every time I have to use a glovers needle for anything. Bloodshed is sure to follow!

Seed beads usually have to be sewn with very thin, long, plain needles that generally have a longish eye. You’d poke thru the leather just enuf to get a good purchase on it. Not so shallow that it would easily tear out, but not all the way through.

I cringe every time I have to use a glovers needle for anything. Bloodshed is sure to follow!

Seed beads usually have to be sewn with very thin, long, plain needles that generally have a longish eye. You’d poke thru the leather just enuf to get a good purchase on it. Not so shallow that it would easily tear out, but not all the way through.
I hear you on that....had to mount a bar on my full sized and mini medals, but I was too cheap to have them completely redone. Trying to get holes through the backing board was a nightmare (as was the attaching afterwards). A little tougher than leather, but not by much from my experience! ;)

I had not made a lobed Powder horn in a while, so I decided to make one. Just finished today, Horn # 66 is a nice size; 14" along the bottom. The base plug is dyed and burnished Poplar.
I kept the decorative motifs more linear on it. It has a nice Folk-art feel to it I think.
It can be worn right or left side.
I will be displaying this at the CLA show in August. It will be needing a forever-home afterwards.

Attachments

• 66 a.jpg
    66 a.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 66 b.jpg
    66 b.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 66 c.jpg
    66 c.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 66 d.jpg
    66 d.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 0
Cleaned my Uberti Colt 1860 New Army.

Amazing how much easier cleaning is a day later when before leaving the range I slathered it with copious amounts of chamber lube to keep the fouling nice and soft.
Well I went out and shot some paper today but even with all the smoke it was quit humid and the girls didn’t want to clean up very easy .Has any body else ever run into that when the humidity is high.

I always though it came off easier when it's humid. Seems to keep it soft.
Ya it was soft just like grease in the pan I filled both barrels with water a let them soak rinsed twice and used solvent .It could be that I used 2f today as they both gum up pretty bad with it .we’ ll see tomorrow when I finish and check em .

Sanded the mountain pistol stock to 220. I’d love to have the grips checkered but don’t have the tools or skills, so I looked into other options and learned about Stippling. I have seen pictures of some really nice examples on stocks. So I did a test piece on a piece of red alder. I made a paper template to trace the shape of the grip. I traced it on the alder, stabbed in the outline with inlet chisels, used a utility knife to create the groove and got after it. I put a coat of Birchwood Casey walnut on it followed by one coat of true oil. I like it and think it would work on the grip, what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6530.jpeg
    IMG_6530.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6532.jpeg
    IMG_6532.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6534.jpeg
    IMG_6534.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6535.jpeg
    IMG_6535.jpeg