• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I browned all the steel for the mountain pistol, I cleaned and scrubbed all parts with dawn, dried and wiped with acetone. Some turned out great some I’m not happy with. Does plum brown have a shelf life? I went ahead and tried the Aqua Fortis on the ramrod, it didn’t look bad at all so I went ahead and applied it to the stock. I think it will finish out pretty nice. I’m keeping my fingers crossed!
Looking good. Hit the metal parts again that didn't take. The stock is gonna be great.

Tinkered on my powder gourd today. Not a historically based flask, at least not by design. Made this in 2017, but only carried it a few times squirrel hunting before I got a good horn. Found it in the basement the other day, and while waiting for laundry to dry this evening I whistled the spout a bit and finally added two eye screws for string attachment. In hindsight I should not have added the large, corked refilling hole, but it is easy to fill with my funnel than filling through the spout. Planning to whittle the spout some more and then stain that. Spout was just a scrap piece of cherry turned by a buddy of mine that he screwed up, and the gourd came off a gourd that I made a banjo from.

Attachments

• 20240727_231602.jpg
    20240727_231602.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 0
Went out back to the range and cut back some alders, with the hedge trimmer, that were starting to encroach and narrow the firing lane. Not specifically Muzzleloading, but that is what I have been shooting the most lately.

I looked up after being out there a while and coming up the range was a young bull moose, looking kind of skinny with a single spike antler growing out of one side. He was about 50 ft away when I noticed him. I thought if I kept running the trimmer (battery operated) it would scare him off, but no he seemed like he was attracted by the noise.

He got to within about 25 ft. and I waved my arms and hollered, and he just stood there (starting to worry me a little now). Finally, I took a couple steps towards him, and he turned around and sauntered down to the bottom of the range where he stood looking at me until my wife came out and took a picture or two. When she moved down close to him, he moved into the brush and woods and disappeared.

Last edited:
Spent about 2 hrs. at the Gun makers Fair yesterday. Met Bld.Trailer and bought some of his flints, very reasonable. I watched his demo, the man knows what he is doing. Learned a lot about knapping. Had to leave as my back gave out, so I stopped at Dixon's on the way home to pick up some Goex. I should have brought my heart medicine with me. $45 a pound +tax! Going to have to learn to make my own!

Spent about 2 hrs. at the Gun makers Fair yesterday. Met Bld.Trailer and bought some of his flints, very reasonable. I watched his demo, the man knows what he is doing. Learned a lot about knapping. Had to leave as my back gave out, so I stopped at Dixon's on the way home to pick up some Goex. I should have brought my heart medicine with me. $45 a pound +tax! Going to have to learn to make my own!
Hi Bud, I bought some powder from Dunkelberger's about 6-9 months ago, cost around $30, must have gone up!
Stopped at Dixon's on my way home too, put a gun up for sale and used the bathroom, saved my life!
Rich

PV had Goex for $27 with no hazmat. I picked up a couple of pounds and a case of elusive LR primers.

Tinkered on my powder gourd today. Not a historically based flask, at least not by design. Made this in 2017, but only carried it a few times squirrel hunting before I got a good horn. Found it in the basement the other day, and while waiting for laundry to dry this evening I whistled the spout a bit and finally added two eye screws for string attachment. In hindsight I should not have added the large, corked refilling hole, but it is easy to fill with my funnel than filling through the spout. Planning to whittle the spout some more and then stain that. Spout was just a scrap piece of cherry turned by a buddy of mine that he screwed up, and the gourd came off a gourd that I made a banjo from.
I'm interested in the type of gourd you used. Some years back I picked up a gourd at a farmers market but it turned out to be a bit fragile for any kind of powder container. Would like to get a gourd with some strength.

Have been coresponding with Clayton from The Leatherman about building me a new Possible Bag so he said just meet me at the Gun Makers fair in Kempton so we can iron out the particulars so I went up Saturday witch was yesterday and 50 min later I had it all worked out with him. So I wanted him to merge a Woodland Bag and a Eastern Bag together to vision what I wanted so he said he would have to cut a few things by hand because he wouldn’t be able to use his Clicker dies he has for certain models, I told him I am in no hurry to take his time and just send me a bill when it’s ready. My old bag was a small medium and to be truthful I don’t carry a tremendous amount of things but let’s face it leather doesn’t really give enough to get a little extra stuff in there so the new dimensions will be the size of his Woodland 11”x10” but a little more hour glass shaped and all the attributes of his Eastern Bag with a full front flap and leather shoulder strap. The reason for the full leather strap is the flat horns will be tethered with Linen loom straps and I wanted to differentiate the two when looking at it. All in all it should look and function just right. Thanks for reading my babbling, LOL

I'm interested in the type of gourd you used. Some years back I picked up a gourd at a farmers market but it turned out to be a bit fragile for any kind of powder container. Would like to get a gourd with some strength.
Get some thin epoxy and inject inside tumble around until you think it's all coated inside. Maybe a couple coats?

Hi Bud, I bought some powder from Dunkelberger's about 6-9 months ago, cost around $30, must have gone up!
Stopped at Dixon's on my way home too, put a gun up for sale and used the bathroom, saved my life!
Rich
Last time I checked Dunkleberger over a year ago they wanted $47 a pound W/O the tax.

I'll try and figure out what breed of gourd it is; I just call it a bottle gourd.

Ordered 5 yards of Unbleached Cotton Drill from Joann's for $20 with free shipping. Item #: 683532. $21.85 with tax. I got it from their website. The stores nearby didn't have it in stock.

This is sometimes referred to as "#40 Pocket Drill" that's .018 thick. The gals in the store didn't know what #40 Pocket Drill was. They'd never heard of it. I found the SKU # in a post on the forum here (thank you, @smo and @The Crisco Kid !) so was able to order it. With free shipping, that makes it even cheaper.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back