• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my NW Trade gun to the range today......shes a keeper. 1st shot low off the paper. 2nd shot found paper so I new where I was at and what I needed to do. 5 of the last 6 grouped and no. 4 took out the spot.
.62 cal. 70 gr. 2f spit patch off the bench figuring things out.
My shooting range is in my woods along a creek and the flying vampires were chewing me up so called it good after 8 shots.

Attachments

• IMG_20240904_145818121_HDR~3.jpg
    IMG_20240904_145818121_HDR~3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
September is the opening for river salmon and my hallmark to stop work and focus on harvest time for the next three months.

Washington State postponed the grouse opener to “reduce the harvest pf breeding age hens.” Of course. Mushroom season is in full swing and there is always the possibility of bumping a bear and the odds of that increase ten-fold if you leave your gun at home. So, no grouse, no bears, saving salmon action for tomorrow, but a little mushroom success and some shooting for fun. I was able to retrieve a couple roundballs from a tree backstop after messing around with Tomahawks peep sight. The first shot was low. Number two was level but had three or four inches of drift right. Corrected.

Finished the evening with a couple beers, some mushrooms and a chicken on the fire, some whiskey and a movie. I’m on a three month holiday and it makes it all worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_4924.jpeg
    IMG_4924.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4927.jpeg
    IMG_4927.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4928.jpeg
    IMG_4928.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4930.jpeg
    IMG_4930.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4931.jpeg
    IMG_4931.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
September is the opening for river salmon and my hallmark to stop work and focus on harvest time for the next three months.

Washington State postponed the grouse opener to “reduce the harvest pf breeding age hens.” Of course. Mushroom season is in full swing and there is always the possibility of bumping a bear and the odds of that increase ten-fold if you leave your gun at home. So, no grouse, no bears, saving salmon action for tomorrow, but a little mushroom success and some shooting for fun. I was able to retrieve a couple roundballs from a tree backstop after messing around with Tomahawks peep sight. The first shot was low. Number two was level but had three or four inches of drift right. Corrected.

Finished the evening with a couple beers, some mushrooms and a chicken on the fire, some whiskey and a movie. I’m on a three month holiday and it makes it all worth it.
Wow. Nice spread of mushies there @Fisherking. Enjoy. A hint on Tomahawk's wonderful sight, should you want to - apply an application of cold blue or vinegar to the bright metal with a cotton wool bud. Watch it age and patina right before your eyes, blending into the aesthetics of your lovely rifle. Here's how one turned out on my Hawken.

Cheers, Pete

Rear View.jpg
Side View.jpg

Wow. Nice spread of mushies there @Fisherking. Enjoy. A hint on Tomahawk's wonderful sight, should you want to - apply an application of cold blue or vinegar to the bright metal with a cotton wool bud. Watch it age and patina right before your eyes, blending into the aesthetics of your lovely rifle. Here's how one turned out on my Hawken.

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 346845View attachment 346846
Could you possibly show a view of the sight from the top? I plan to get one of Tomahawk's sights too, but I'm curious how to fit it.

Another good day . I cut the lumps off my new, in the white, modern ????? 28g shotgun barrels , from the sparks the chopper lumps are steel ( holts auction £260) . then ground them down with my dremmil couple a good few hours work . Bit stressful. Just kissed the barrels a couple of times even taking the greatest care. And quite a reasonable fit to the stock of my .36 double rifle Feel quite good. And yesterday I cut the 11/16” breach threads , Next to start on the breach plugs themselves Same procedure with any modern shotgun barrels to muzzle loading. Even though I have the skills to do it, At 81 my skills have been built up over many years , but not for others impossible with a bit of help. We wish you well from across the pond. Thunder and lightening west of London plus heavy rain

Attachments

• ED34623F-6016-4798-B5A9-06B963D8F867.jpeg
    ED34623F-6016-4798-B5A9-06B963D8F867.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • CF3B7CCD-5949-45A7-BF0D-0083DAAFA69F.jpeg
    CF3B7CCD-5949-45A7-BF0D-0083DAAFA69F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 23BC1F57-AD72-4051-97BA-80E866A59B45.jpeg
    23BC1F57-AD72-4051-97BA-80E866A59B45.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 12601287-2B29-49E4-A064-7784B288BC94.jpeg
    12601287-2B29-49E4-A064-7784B288BC94.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1DB4C3C9-6E9C-4FF7-96A0-11547C134A53.jpeg
    1DB4C3C9-6E9C-4FF7-96A0-11547C134A53.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 150AED62-F9D7-4204-8D47-C3A6B0A0A9D5.jpeg
    150AED62-F9D7-4204-8D47-C3A6B0A0A9D5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 97F4CB17-BF07-4F73-ACB5-9183BF1E730C.jpeg
    97F4CB17-BF07-4F73-ACB5-9183BF1E730C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • E4908E1C-74B3-4125-9A1D-66878698D0E0.jpeg
    E4908E1C-74B3-4125-9A1D-66878698D0E0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 5106328D-2B5E-4114-904F-2C37196BA1C1.jpeg
    5106328D-2B5E-4114-904F-2C37196BA1C1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Well yesterday I shot my TC .45 Hawken for the first time in years. Had a blast but I also had an issue. After several rounds I ran a swab down the barrel to help with seating patched roundballs. I think maybe too much liquid bore cleaner or I disturbed some stuff. I could not get it to fire after changing a couple of caps, I had just bought some new ones $$$ so I thought I had some not so good caps even though they all went off. I checked with my ramrod, and it was still loaded with powder and ball. I removed the nipple and got some powder in the touch hole, enough to get the rifle unloaded. So, what is a best practice for cleaning the bore after multiple shots?

Finally got my NW Trade gun to the range today......shes a keeper. 1st shot low off the paper. 2nd shot found paper so I new where I was at and what I needed to do. 5 of the last 6 grouped and no. 4 took out the spot.
.62 cal. 70 gr. 2f spit patch off the bench figuring things out.
My shooting range is in my woods along a creek and the flying vampires were chewing me up so called it good after 8 shots.
Moleman could you explain the process and what you used on your barrel please.Ive done cold blue but I haven’t try the rust stuff yet but I would like to .thankyou in advance.

Could you possibly show a view of the sight from the top? I plan to get one of Tomahawk's sights too, but I'm curious how to f
Cheers @Sir Boniface Harrison. Man, that's a cool name. If you were in the Australian Army, you would start out as an officer for sure 😃! Respect. Tomahawk's sight attached to my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken easily. I simply had to find an ever so slightly longer through bolt and swap it out with the original - this I found at the local hardware store. Note that I coloured the bolt up a bit too, with cold blue, including the shank; why the shank I don't know, because no-one can see it as it passes through the stock terminating in the trigger guard. You may note that I rounded the ends of Tomahawk's product to reduce sharp lines; also, I swapped out his aperture with one that I had on hand as it had a smaller diameter for my ageing eyes. I do really like this sight. Simple, robust, unobtrusive, aesthetics blend with the rifle, sight in the elevation with your favourite load and finesse windage with the front sight, set and forget- looks like it belongs there. Kudos to Tomahawk! All his engineering, not mine; so, credit where credit's due.

And the requested images to assist the explanation. You can see how the cold blue and vinegar solution has aged the bright metal for an antiqued finish.

Cheers, Pete

Tomahawk3.jpg
Tomahawk1.jpg
Tomahawk2.jpg

Cheers @Sir Boniface Harrison. Man, that's a cool name. If you were in the Australian Army, you would start out as an officer for sure 😃! Respect. Tomahawk's sight attached to my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken easily. I simply had to find an ever so slightly longer through bolt and swap it out with the original - this I found at the local hardware store. Note that I coloured the bolt up a bit too, with cold blue, including the shank; why the shank I don't know, because no-one can see it as it passes through the stock terminating in the trigger guard. You may note that I rounded the ends of Tomahawk's product to reduce sharp lines; also, I swapped out his aperture with one that I had on hand as it had a smaller diameter for my ageing eyes. I do really like this sight. Simple, robust, unobtrusive, aesthetics blend with the rifle, sight in the elevation with your favourite load and finesse windage with the front sight, set and forget- looks like it belongs there. Kudos to Tomahawk! All his engineering, not mine; so, credit where credit's due.

And the requested images to assist the explanation. You can see how the cold blue and vinegar solution has aged the bright metal for an antiqued finish.

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 347035View attachment 347036View attachment 347037
Many thanks for taking the time to show me this, Pete. As my rifle is very similar to yours, this is very useful indeed. Although I am a Harrison, the 'Boniface' bit comes from a Great - great - great grandparent called Boniface Harrison, who was a master of a merchant sailing vessel. As far as I'm aware he wasn't a 'Sir' though!

Couple days ago went to Joanns and got .15 ticking,getting Tap-O-Cap bought today.Not paying the price for caps that they are wanting.
Checked the girls for clean and re oiled them and put em back in the rack .I also put my 58 jag in the drill as it was really tight in slim fits good know as I didn’t over do it with the emery .

Looks good 👍
Did a little cleaning on a lock today as the frizzen wasn’t opening fully first I cleaned it then did a polish with 0000 steel wool .And finally when I turned the flint bevel down walla it worked perfectly.So my uneducated guess would be the flint was not hitting the frizzen high enough.Still getting older but still learning so I’d say alls good in my world lol.

Latest posts

Back