• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What projectile should I use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cant decide what to shoot. I think I will try to get something with a roundball. After all a 58cal roundball with 120gr FFG should have no lack of killing power.

"I just cant decide what to shoot. I think I will try to get something with a roundball. After all a 58cal roundball with 120gr FFG should have no lack of killing power"

Sounds to me like you should take a calculator it would be light and easy to carry too. :stir:

The load above will work on any Elk you can see to hit with open sights.

RiverRat said:
Personally, I think that too many people get too wrapped up in the arguments as to what equipment or method is the "best" for hunting. There doesn't have to be a "best" or "better" way
Sure Al, I guess you can use the same argument for HC/PC right? Give me a break!

Geeees! I was only responding to what seems to have turned into a "my way is better" arguement. Does it really bother you that much what anyone else does? I'm sure that there are a lot more people here that, like me, have an interest in doing it the old way, but don't have the time to get so serious that they become thread counters! This is a hobby that I enjoy, but I also have other interests/obligations.

Bald Mtn Man said:
I don't really give a rat's a$$ what anyone else uses or does as long as it's ethical & legal.

Al, shooting a black bear with a 30-06 over bait from a tree at seven yards probably isn't illegal, but is it ethical? Practice what you preach!

Hey this topic reminds me of one of those gated communities where they tell you what color you have to paint your hose, how many cars are allowed in your drive way, how many people are allowed to be over at your home on certain days.

"Geeees! I was only responding to what seems to have turned into a "my way is better" arguement. Does it really bother you that much what anyone else does? "

I think it is more of a put the facts of both sides on the table so those who have not made a choice can make an educated one based on as much imput(not with a calculator) as possible. Example, I have never said a PRB is better for Elk just that it is very suifficient out to common open sight ML ranges (100 yds), and that the RB's stats on paper do not reflect its' true performance capabilities.

RiverRat said:
Bald Mtn Man said:
I don't really give a rat's a$$ what anyone else uses or does as long as it's ethical & legal.

Al, shooting a black bear with a 30-06 over bait from a tree at seven yards probably isn't illegal, but is it ethical? Practice what you preach!

Gerry,
If you're insinuating that I've hunted over bait & taken a black bear at seven yards with a .30-06, you're wrong! I have never hunted over bait.

What's your problem anyway? :confused:
If you have some sort of beef with me let's take it up in a P/T, not the open forum.

You guys have way to much free time................its spring.........go fishing.....pick up your "My bullet is better than your bullet" argument in September.

Bald Mtn Man said:
RiverRat said:
Bald Mtn Man said:

Gerry,
If you're insinuating that I've hunted over bait & taken a black bear at seven yards with a .30-06, you're wrong! I have never hunted over bait.

What's your problem anyway? :confused:
If you have some sort of beef with me let's take it up in a P/T, not the open forum.

Bears over bait make GREAT rugs and better sausage! :2

So what projectile should I use?

lol just kidding. This has been a long thread. Im gonna go shoot next weekend since I just got 5lbs KIK in the mail. I will see how roundballs shoot vs the Great Plains.

Nothing "canned" about that hunt. It was a nuisance control hunt on a farm that was becoming over run with bears.

Sorry for the distraction Sharp Shooter.
I wouldn't even hesitate to use a round ball for any game in North America. Just make sure you place your shots where they need to be.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

RiverRat said:
I don't know about where you live, but I can shoot my guns off the front porch, the back deck, out the bedroom window ect...No street lights or sidewalks in these parts.

Same for me as well.

Bedroom window might be a little tricky. My flinters would blast my TV with those gases it belches out the venthole

Greenmtnboy said:
So IMHO It doesen't matter what you use for elk or other large game as long as your shots are double lung and at a resonable distance.
I don't beleve in knockdown power with a muzzleloader no matter the projectile. ...
I rely on a large wound channel with clean pass through that I get with PRB and a solid hunting load. ... At 100yrds or less I trust PRBs.

:hatsoff:

Based on the accuracy I have been getting I think I will use my roundball load. If it real windy I might use the Great Plains though.

Back