• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What sights do you use? Primative, Colored, Painted, Fiber Optic?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyref

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Breaking this out from the Hunting Yardage thread:

My question is especially to those with "aging eyesight" but is open to all ... and I am definitely playing a bit of devils' advocate here....
Do you suffer and struggle to stay "pure" with the primitive sights that are "correct" for your rifle, or do you use modern high-viz iron sights? Not that the high-viz sights would extend the range too much, but it would sure make shot placement for a quick and humane kill more likely...

The TC sights are decent out of the box, the various Lyman hunting sights look decent but both are decidedly modern..... Like I said.... Stirring the pot with a canoe paddle...

Having already answered this on the other thread, I'll just copy/paste over here but will also add a new prescription just gotten a month ago for glasses I wear will also help.

So far I have been able to stay with my primitive sights which work for me still and I've only had to cut my yardage down. No more 100 yard shots for me. I think before going with anything modern I will still be able to squeeze a few years out just by widening my front sight blade and rear sight notch. We'll see, I'm doing fine so far now long as I stay within 75 yards.

A fresh script is always a good idea.... reminds me that I'm due for a checkup. :thumbsup:

A Peep sight helps. Also the Merit Optic Company makes a stick on adjustable peep sight that you can stick on your glasses, and use WITH open sights. Some people simply punch a hole in a piece of tape, and put it on to the lens of their shooting glasses.

Put a pin hole in a piece of cardboard- shirt backs work well, and hold it up to your eye. If it helps focus your eye on a distant object, then you have an idea that these various forms of peep sights will help also.

First a coat of white then a thin coat of orange.Here is what they look like against the snow.

4234826268_832b47b80d_z.jpg

Primitive. I like a fairly thick front blade and a rear notch that is wide enough to let some light thru.

These sights replaced the factory ones

Ted Cash front..
IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

Rear Sight from the gun works..Tweaked

before..
IMG_1038-1.jpg

after tweaking
IMG_1100.jpg

Have shot factory ..and peep with eye hole open similar to a ghost ring sight.

Settled on non adjustable ..more traditional..53 year old eyes comfort zone to 75 yards.

My rifles sport primitive/traditional type sights with the rear of the front sight coated with a white pearl finger nail polish. It sure helps while squirrel pop'n. The old eyes ain't what they used to be (maybe they never were??).
Vern

I use traditional sights on all of my Blackpowder guns except my "not so traditional" TC Greyhawk.

I found a fiber-optic front sight at a local shop for $6 and hammered it in.I really like it and the Greyhawk will probably be my primary deer gun this season.

Paul,
I am VERY FAMILIAR with Merit apertures, Peep and post set ups, and double aperture set ups from shooting service rifle, match rifle, and long range prone competitions. I have a Merit from shooting Bullseye Pistol and IHMSA Silhouettes but I need to order a new suction cup for it. These are some interesting options. The aperture sights may or may not be legal for all states.

In fact, all of the suggestions are good. I know that there has to be a bunch of hunters out there that are fighting their eyesight, or are about to. I brought this up to get as many potential variations of a solution in one place as possible. The pictures are a great addition too.... Could definitely assist someone in deciding what option to try.

makesumsmoke, did you weld and re-drill that rear sight?

410er, I kinda like tat orange front, but I think I would still like a lack outline to it. The orange could get "washed out" for me... ie: lose the edge contrast due to the bright reflection.

on my hunting gun I use the organal adjustable rear sight and beed front painted orange. the target guns have semi buck horns.

Btw, I have yet to find anything wrong with a brass front sight, so far. I use a pair of gloves with suede fingers and palm, as I wait for the sun to come up I sit there rubbing the front sight with my thumb for a few minutes, surprising how little it takes to shine the sight right up and I've yet to have a problem picking it up when aiming at a deer. That may change in the future but I see it pretty good now.

I like the receiver/peep sight
My 50 cal underhammer has a williams fiber optic front and rear set,
Traditions 50 cal deer hunter scout, fiber optic front, T/C receiver sight in the back
My 60 cal has a Ghost ring set on it
My new to me 54 cal Renegade has the factory set on it. It will get soon a receiver sight and some paint for the front blade

Hockeyref said:
makesumsmoke, did you weld and re-drill that rear sight?
Hockeyref... for the front hole I cold forged..pounded in a hole size nail..filed it flush.. the back holes were drill larger and a bolt was soldiered in to fill the off set drill holes..Used the factory sights as a hole jig to mark the new sight holes
Ordered the sights From the Gun Works..didn't realize they were drilled off set from the factory..what was I thinking? :youcrazy: By this time I had to much labor involved and corrected the problem myself..The third one was sent back and exchanged ..The Gun works was not aware of this problem..They "The Gun Works" bent over backwards to correct the problem( I would recommend them) I did solder a 1/8 piece of metal stock on the back of the sight to give it more height..The high ears on the original were not even so they were cut off. used a Dremel to finish the inside of the sight...Just a note..I sighted my rifles in with the factory sights..took the rear sight height measurements.480 and filed the replacements to that height. added LMF brown.. ordered replacement 6-48 screws from T/C.. Took my dial calipers and found the center on top of each rear sight..started with a very swallow groove(filed) and then deepened it as I was sighting in....all three of my rifles carry these sights and have been tweaked and zeroed for this fall. :v

The tweaking was tapping the front sight right or left and taking the top of the rear sight down to the correct height(filing) according to each rifles happy load.

Now I don't have to deal with a factory spring loaded rear sight. :grin:

as a side note ..the first sight I tweaked while sighting in I over filed the notch..Rats!..took it home unsoldered the back then soldered a new
back on..filed it to fit took 30 minutes tops. Take your time filing the rear notch.

I needed a front site that stood out a little bit more than a black one on my rifles. I replaced my front blade on my .36 with a silver blade and then polished my blued blade to shiny silver on my .58. The silver stands out nicely for my 33-year-old eyes in less lighting and against dark targets both paper and critter.

I can see the need to change the sights as eyes age and there should be no shame in doing so. I'd hate to see anyone stop shooting to remain "pure".

Hmmm....Candle soot for sunny days...... Stumpy I like that thought.... never really considered smoking the sights on a brass or silver front. Dunno why not 'cuz I religiously smoke my service rifle sight for matches. I would definitely need to widen up that rear notch a bit and go with a wider front blade.

Anyone else doing anything interesting or unique to customize yer sights? Post up!

Ok, I had a a chance to look out over a primitive rear and thin brass front post. No Bueno... I hated it... too thin and hard to see. Also looked over a set of the Lyman Fiber optic hunting sights..... These I liked, I would have No Issues getting a good sight picture with them. I will probably get a set of these to try out, but will still develop a load and set up the stock primitive sights for it as a back up and for use when they would be required.... probably try them out under field conditions just to see how bad my eyes really are.

Back