• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What size buckshot for .32 rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if any one has shot buckshot in a .32? I went to hornadys websight and see that .0 buckshot is .320 and #1 buckshot is .300
What would be the best choice(not even sure you could use.o buckshot)
Thanks for the help!
Nathan

You could use #1 buckshot in a pinch. I use a Lee .311 mold for mine. Emery

Speer buckshot sizes run smaller than the norm and Hornady. Check your bore size before ordering to be sure. I had ordered some Speer buckshot not knowing it was running small and now it is just holding down the drawer as a weight.

If you go to the Ballistics Products website you will find they have buckshot in size 1 1/2 or .310 that will work just fine for you. :applause: Their buckshot does have a small amount of antimony and will be a bit harder than a pure lead ball. The last time I bought some it was arround 3 cents a ball. :shocked2: With 15 grains of powder you can do a lot of shooting for a few bucks :) Good luck nd happy shooting. :hatsoff:

I gave up on buckshot. No matter what it says on the bag and charts, it varies wildly in diamter. I was just spending too much time measuring and sorting the stuff. You can get a Lee .311 mold for around 20 bucks, then get back to shooting rather than measuring and sorting. In a couple of hours with a double cavity mold (25 bucks rather than 20), you can turn out a year's worth of balls, that is unless you're doing a whole, whole lot of shooting. The way we all wish we could be.

If the size of the buckshot varies much, throw the pellets into a "case" tumbler, or vibrator, and let them knock against each other for an hour or so. You will find that they become more uniform in sizing after this.

I can't talk much about weight, however. You are not going to add lead to a pellet that is undersized: all you can do is make it more round. Tumbling or vibrating makes the balls ROUND when they may be more oval than round.

I have known people to use balls that are "0" buckshot, or .320 in diameter in their .32 caliber rifles. The balls are so small, they are easily deformed to fit down the barrel with a .010" patch.

I use Hornady single ought buck in my .32 Pedersoli squirrel rifle. I have to use a thin patch of around .010 with the Hornady single ought buckshot.

I bought 50 lbs of Lawrence brand hard #1 buck 20 or so years back and it works great with a .020 patch. Mine mic's at .307-.308 with an occasional pee wee and rarely one that is a little larger. You can readily tell when you get either. A pee wee starts with finger pressure a a big one won't start at all. Over the years I have encountered less than a dozen of each.

Back