• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what size drill bit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Birddog, you obviously have nuch more experience than I do, but I made a similar set-up a couple of years ago. It really works slick! I made my bottom locater out of a short piece of 3/8" rod sharpened on the end, line up the vise holding it with the drill bit and bolt it to the table. I also made a step set-up out of scrap 2X4 pieces to better enable the piece to be drilled to be held level. Emery

Good point Zonie, & one I should have mentioned. I set my table down on my drill press so when I lower the drill bit column all the way, the drill bit is not touching the drill point locator tip. Line the points up, then drop the table about a tad.

Good to know I am not the only one that had this error occur. :wink: If the points can hit & you are not careful, the drill bit can drill the point or worse they can hit & bypass & the point can push the drill bit off your alignment mark & now you (I) have a hole to fill & redrill.

:redface:

Another thing that is real helpsul in doing this drilling with the drill point & etc.

When ya do this, you will imediately realize you need 3 hands.

One: Operate the drill on/off switch.
Two: Operate the drill crank to lower the drill bit.
Three: Hold the rifle still.

I have a large block (8" x 8" x 12") with a C clamp mounted to it that I put on the bench & support the forestock with it

I hold the near where I am drilling with my left hand.

I operate the drillbit crank with my right hand.

I operate the drill press on/off switch thru a foot controlled pedal switch I have the drillpress cord routed thru.

This way I have control of the drill up & down with my right hand & turn the drillpress off/on with my foot.

:thumbsup:

Note: It is imperative your drill bits be Sharp . If not you will put undue pressure on the bit & make it wander off course....... :( Drill slow, let the drill bit do it's thing & cut it's way thru.

It worked!! I have the lock bolted to the stock now. Tomrrow I will instal triger and bolt that down to. Thanks for your help guys!!!

Do the trigger/tang the same way. Drill half way & turn it over & drill the other half. Then do the clearance hole. I usually put my rear screw in the trigger to help hold it in place & also I put a small "C" clamp from the barrel to the triggerplate to keep the barrel down tight & the triggerplate up tight. Tap it with the "C" clamp still on also, as this way you will not push the triggerplate out of place when you push the tap into it. This keeps the threads in alignment & makes the screw go in without binding & etc.

Good Luck !

:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back