• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with extra GPR stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbhower

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had a Lyman GPR for over 10 years now. I bought it as a botched kit and kind of refinished it. Worked great as a beater for years and I've gotten a lot of deer with it. It always had this stupid butt pad on it from the original owner, and the stock was already cut a little bit so I didn't want to shorten it any more than it already was to put a nice butt plate on it.

Well the other day a brand new stock with trigger and all furniture came up on Ebay for $170 and I bought it and swapped my lock and barrel over.

Now what to do with the old stock. I hate to just not use it. I already have a GPR .50 with caplock, and a trade rifle in flint lock.

I removed the butt pad and I can see that the stock is cracked a little bit in the back and the only thing holding the cracked piece on is the upper portion of the butt pad. The crack isn't bad, but is definitely there.

I thought about cutting down the stock and get a spare barrel to cut down and make a long barreled pistol (16-18"). The handle angle isn't optimum, but it doesn't seem to be that uncomfortable. Then it might be nice for an accurate deer pistol for those hunts where you walk miles and miles.

Lyman had a fast twist and slow twist barrel. All the pistols that I see are fast twists even though they shoot round balls. If i do cut down the stock to make a deer pistol, does it really matter which barrel I find?

Any other ideas?

Yeh, sell it....
Now IF we're a extra barrel..... :surrender:
I just CANNOT have a barrel laying around........ :youcrazy:

Donate it to a local Hunter Ed instructor, who can screw & glue in a black painted dowel and use it as a mock gun in training exercises.

Youth model wouldn't be a bad idea. My son is 3 and he'll need a muzzle loader soon I guess :wink:

Yeah, that's only 5-6yrs away. He should be shootin before that but they need a little size ta heft the weight of an ML.
A 12-- 12 1/2" pull works well for kids. Some folks will try shorter but then they grow out of it quick.
It's a lot easier for them to enjoy a proper length rifle than to try an stretch for the adult size butt and length of pull.

Back