• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with pan primer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decades back, I would occasionally shoot at a public range that required black powder containers be worn on the shooter and not on the bench or elsewhere. Apparently, they had a horn on the bench cut loose from an errant spark. They figured if the blast was closer, you would be more attentive.

Everything I have read indicates HC was priming with the same powder as main charge. I have read that up until late 18 hundreds, powder was similar to our 2F in granulation....don't know for sure. I have convinced myself that 3F is a bit quicker than 2F in the pan.

The public range I used to shoot at had rules for us BP shooters:
- All powder cans where to be stored on the Back Bench.
- All loading (except priming, including capping) was to be done at the Back Bench.
- No firearms were to be Primed Until stepping up to the line.
- No Primed firearms allowed at the Back Bench.

So, once you loaded at the Back Bench, then stepped up to the line and Primed - you had to do something with your primer (or horn).
I used a small primer horn and just Stuck it in my pocket.
Never did spill any, but today if I did I would pick out Every Little Speck as if I had spilled a tin of caps!

But, I never noticed anything spill in my pocket and my pants never blew up so....

Today I shoot out on public land, no bench and the 'line' is wherever I say it is.
I load where I stand and out of habit step up to 'the line', prime and put it in my pocket and shoot...still haven't blown any pants up (BUT, I Refuse to were a Pager!!!)

I have one of the spring lever priming flasks. Unfortunately FFFFg leaks out of it, a bit. I tapped the spout and use a small machine bolt in it.
I have a pour spout on the can but keep it on another bench (left of the shooting bench), with the measure over the spout. The priming flask goes with it when I shoot.

Back