• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettitt41

32 Cal
Reaction score
OK so I have an unknow longrifle that was my FiL's. The wife says she cares nothing about it, but it does at least have some history with her family albeit somewhat removed. The lock ,a conversion I believe, is very weak and the stock has been broken in several places and while I tried to repair it is not in great or shootable shape. I am a function over form type so a wall hanger is not my cup of tea but I'm open to it since its technically not mine but she says she doesn't care. My thoughts are salvage what I can and put them into a new build for our grandson for something that actually has family ties. OK long story coming on what I know of its providence. FiL family was from Kansas city and his father worked at the RR depot in KC taking tickets. Story I was told was an oldtimer traded this for a train ticket back east with my GFiL. It sat in their basement where the butt got wet and rotted, FiL filled the void with wax. Original ram rod was broken in a sword fight when my FiL was a child, early 1900's. I've scoped the barrel and it has ended its useful life due to neglect and corrosion. So question #1 what do I have and Question #2 dare I disassemble and part it out for a functional tool or leave as is for future generations to decide its fate. IMG_20240627_192042736_PORTRAIT.jpgIMG_20240627_192144946_PORTRAIT.jpgIMG_20240627_192119129_PORTRAIT.jpgIMG_20240627_192129843_PORTRAIT.jpg

a product such as "pc-petrifier" may have been a better choice to treat the soft/rotted wood butt. When applied to soft and rotting wood, it hardens it when it dries. Multiple applications are beneficial. Not sure if it will still work in conjunction with the existing wax.
IMO other than stabilizing the rotted wood, leave it for future generations.

I wouldn't try to fix that one. At this point I would call it decor. But as others mentioned, would be cool to build a new copy of it. I like the patch box but a good patch box artist could probably make a match. The original gun wouldn't look right hanging in the wall without the box.

I think it is something put together in the past 50 years from salvaged parts. I see some real alarm bells. That lock and barrel combination was never put together by any reputable builder. But if you like the family story, own it.

Latest posts

Back