• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to get for a flinter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a flintlock. Im debating between a Renegade or a Trade rifle. Maybe even a Hawken if I can find one cheap enough that will accept a 1" barrel. I like the Trade rifle but the Renegade or 1" Hawken would be better because I could put like a GM 58cal flintlock on it or 62cal smoothie. With the Trade rifle I am limited to 15/16" barrels. I think I might go with the Renegade or 1" Hawken. What do you think?

:hmm: Sounds like you answered your own question. If you're looking for .58 and or .62 cal capability, then 1" it is. That would be a nice combo with minimal investment. :thumbsup:
sniper

Well I was thinking a 1" Hawken or Renegade but thought I would ask you guys to make sure that would be the way to go over like a Trade Rifle.

If you are thinking of putting a smoothbore barrel on it and using it for Wing shooting, i would suggest the Renegade over the Hawken because of the buttplate shape.

If you're using it for hunting, I'd go with the Renegade. You can use the barrells that you've mentioned & it doesn't have all that shiney brass to reflect the sunlight, like the Hawken does. (I know, you can let the brass take on a patina, but that takes time)

Lyman has refurbished flintlocks on their website for great prices.

Click on specials.

Back