• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to look for in a well made rifle!!!?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKhunter

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey guys
I will be going to Dixons Gunbuilders fair in july with cash in hand to see if I find a rifle I like.
I've been told there are many builders that attend and if you have cash on you .....you can find a gem for a great price. :winking:
I have been researching quite a bit but would like your input as to what to look for in a "WELL MADE" rifle.
Is it just fit and finish and quality parts or are there things I should be looking for.
thanks
Shawn

Fit and finish are good indicators, but take into consideration the manufacturers of the locks and barrels. Also consider how the rifle feels to you: Does it balance and shoulder well? Does it feel like an extention of your arms or is it awkward? Do the sights line up on target without a lot of wiggling and moving it around? There are a lot of personal preference issues that make the difference between a high quality rifle and a rifle that you'll love.

Beyond the obvious fit and finish and a look down the bore, the lock is extremly important. The vent location is also critical, it should be centered, coned on the inside and located at the top of the pan.

The stock should have the proper drop at the comb and heel and the length of pull should fit you, not someone else. I like to close my eyes and snap the rifle to my shoulder, it should not hit you under the arm pit (too long) nor should you have to pull it back into your shoulder (too short). When you open your eyes the sights should be aligned.

Consider also that a gun that fits in a light Summer shirt may not fit with heavy Winter attire and a shooting bag on the strong shoulder. Shooting position is also critical. If the gun fits offhand it won't work for prone.

Twist is also important, is it made for PRB or conicals? Chances are it will be a slow PRB twist but ask.

Have fun.

Unfortunately, the first thing I have to look at is the $ tag.

I have found that with flintlocks, more than any other kind of firearm, there are some that just smite your heart-strings and call out to your individual tastes.

Looking at new guns you won't see any signs of abuse that might raise alarms, but there are things that might tip you off to overall quality.

If the lock is of quality and installed well, you'll love the gun. If the lock sucks, the rest won't matter. After a spell, looks ain't enough. As me Pappy used to say: "Kissin wears out, cookin don't". Touch-hole should be centered and just above even with the outer edge of the pan, tight fit of lockplate to barrel near the pan (keeps fouling out of the lockworks). Is the barrel evenly inlayed along its length? If, with permission, you put your ear on the sideplate and cock the action is it a series of crisp "clicks" with no grinding or unevenness? Are the dovetails crisp (a sign the unseen metalwork probably will be, also). Ask the seller what he did to tune the lock. Most Chambers/Silers or L&R don't need much (unless it's a kit lock), but if he took the time there it shows he cares. Some smiths reharden parts.

Personal fit, as mentioned earlier, is probably the most important consideration after the lock.

Happy shopping. Let us know how you make out.

Well I guess a lot is just common sense. It would really help to have someone knowledgeable "help" you look, as when you fall in love you might miss some defects. A "neutral party" might notice something you miss.

I guess the first thing I would look at would be the fit of the lock in the stock, and that it lays up perfectly against the barrel, obvioulsy in the pan area.

Then I guess it's a matter of looks for sure, balence, and overall fit and finish.

Personally, I'm pretty sold on Chamber's locks, and if I was laying down cash for a custom rifle I'd be looking at those that had them. To my mind, if the location of the touch hole was right, and it had a Chamber's, it's going to be a fantastic shooting gun, reliability and speed of ignition-wise.

But having said that, I'm sure there are other good locks out there. I'd find out which locks are the best ones, and maybe avoid any rifles with "unknowns" on them. (guess I could have said that in the first place!!)

:yakyak:

Rat

There are wood guys and there are metal guys. When you pick up the rifle you'll see which it is you have.

Wood guys always have carving and the finish details are perfect, but the lock will be out of the box and probably not be tuned and crisp. The touch hole may be a 1/16 off front to back from dead center.

Metal guys have perfectly tuned locks and all of the casting marks are gone from the brass/silver/iron. You probably will also find engraving on the metal. But metal to wood finish isn't that great and the pretty engraved inlays show small gaps in their finish.

I like the wood guys best, because I don't own any guns with a metal patch box. A sliding patch box needs a good fit. I think if I were going to buy a Penn style rifle with lots of brass, I'd look for a metal guy who is more the middling sort. I'd want some carving but an engraved box would be a must. :results:

Back